Material Used for Revision Rhinoplasty. What to Expect if Switching From Large to Smaller Implant?

Recently, it is a popular method among Korean surgeons that use I-shape silicon to augment bridge and irradiated rib catilage to construct collumbellar strut and ear catilage as the nose tip placed on the irradiated rib strut. However I ve some concern over the use of I shape silicon. If the patient change an Oversized silicon to a smaller one. Will it shift down due to gravity? Appreciate u can share your views on this surgical method. Thanks

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

While the use of silicon shaped nasal implants fit best certain patients, others benefit the most from autologous cartilage graft.

Without physical examination it is hard to provide you with a solid opinion about a given surgical method that may not be suitable for a given case.

I recommend that you consult with board certified surgeons of extensive experience to be able to make a well informed decision.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck you.

Dr. Sajjadian

+1

The I shaped silicone dorsal implant is my preferred method of building up the nasal bridge.  If you go to a smaller silicone dorsal implant, the skin, of the nose, will accommodate the smaller implant.  I would be far more concerned about the use of irradiated cartilage grafts as these have been shown to dissolve unevenly over time creating nasal deformities.  Hope this helps.  

Switching to a smaller implant

+1

An L shaped implant that is too large not only looks poor but has a much higher risk of extrusion with time. This can be replaced by a smaller implant or can be removed and the nose reshaped with the patients own cartilage.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Material Used for Nasal Augmentation in Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

For 35 years I have used the patient's own cartilage rather than silicone or irradiated rib cartilage.