What Material is Used in Asian Rhinoplasty Nasal Tip Surgery?

How is a more prominent nasal tip constructed on a flat nose? What is the implant is made of? Can you use your own tissue from somewhere on your body?

Tip grafts and Implants for Asian Rhinoplasty

+1
Thousands of rhinoplasties are performed in the East on Asian patients by inserting a piece of silicone molding to augment the nasal bridge and define, project and elevate the nasal tip.  Those typically do very well, but the implant can cause some problems with infection and extrusion. 
Another option is using ear or septal cartilage, or even rib cartilage. 

Asian rhinoplaty tip work

+1

The best materials are from your own body, usually your ear cartilage and or septum from inside your nose. These materials are used to reinforce your native cartilage. I would not recommend using any other material - too many risks when your own tissues are readily available.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Donor Material Used to Augment Asian Nasal Tip

+1

The best donor tissue to increase tip projection in an Asian nose is the patient's own cartilage. Many times narrowing of the nasal base will improve the final result.   

Best material to shape Asian tip during Rhinoplasty.

+1

IMHO after performing Rhinoplasty for over 20 years, conchal ear cartilage (from the back of your own ear) works the best to strengthen and shape the nasal tip, hands down.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

In the nose, I prefer to use cartilage from your own body to build up the tip or dorsum.  I have seen many complications from patients who have had foreign body placed in the nose by others that have required revision rhinoplasty.  My recommendation is to have the rhinoplasty done right the first time so you don't have to have a revision.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty in the Asian nose.

+1
For more than 30 years I have used the patient's own cartilage for grafting. That way you have nothing foreign in your nose.

Tip-plasty in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Options for nasal augmentation in Asian rhinoplasty include synthetic materials like silicone and Gortex or natural materials from the patient's own body like septal cartilage, auricular cartilage or costal cartilage (from the nose, ear or rib). An L-shaped silicone implant may change the tip but with the risk or excessive pressure to the skin envelope or a late stage infection. Gortex is used typically for dorsal augmentation. Cartilage grafts are more "natural" and can be carved from cartilage harvested from different sites. There is a lower risk of infection. My personal preference for the tip is a double stacked graft constructed from auricular cartilage.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon