How Soon Can I Get Mastopexy Surgery After Massive Weight Loss Caused by Bariatric Surgery

Does it matter if you experienced massive weight lost with bariatric surgery or naturally for determining when a mastopexy could be allowed?

Mastopexy After Weight Loss?

+1

Plastic surgery after massive weight loss (after bariatric surgery or through diet and exercise) is  best  done  after the patient reaches a stable weight. At that time, an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan can be determined. If surgery is done prematurely the patient may require further surgery after he/she drops even further weight.

With massive weight loss, in a short period of time, patients are often left with a significant amount of excess skin. Because of the rapid weight loss, the patient’s skin doesn’t “bounce back” adequately, resulting in a multitude of problems including problems with moisture, skin break down, hygiene and body image problems (aesthetic concerns). This excess skin remains a reminder of the person’s past problem with obesity and limits the patient’s satisfaction with the weight loss he/she has achieved. Although patients are often very pleased with the improvement in their medical issues (such as diabetes and high blood pressure) achieved after weight loss, they are still not happy when they look in the mirror.

Many patients complain of “empty, droopy, saggy” breasts after weight loss – in fact, patients often say that they were happier with their breasts before weight loss than after (just like some patients are happier with their breast during pregnancy than after). Most patients after massive weight loss, benefit from breast augmentation (saline or silicone gel breast implants) along with breast lifting (mastopexy) surgery. The mastopexy operation serves to raise the nipple-areola complexes higher on the chest wall (by removing redundant or loose skin) while the breast augmentation serves to increase fullness of the breasts especially along the superior pole of the breasts. Usually, after significant weight loss, both breast implants and breast lifting are required for optimal results.

Breast lift after weight loss

+1

In answer to your question; NO, it doesn't matter how you lost the weight. What matters is that you are done loosing weight before you consider any type of 'lifting' procedure. It is best to wait a few months after you have reached your ideal weight in order to have the best result possible. I hope this helps you, best wishes Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy after massive weight loss

+1

You should wait until you have reached a plateau in your weight loss.  This will give you the best chance of not have to revise the lift.  Also you may combine the breast lift with other procedures if needed.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Mastopexy after massive weight loss

+1

In order for your surgeon to plan an appropriate operationg it is important that your weight loss has plateaued. Once you are no longer losing weight an additional 6 months will allow some of the skin to shrink around its smaller contents. If you are impatient and go for body contouring surgery too soon there is a much greater chance that you will need additional revision surgery. It does not matter whether the weight is lost by surgery or by dieting or whether it was a 50 pound weight loss or a 150 pound weight loss.

You should consider breast implants so you do not have to remove as much skin and get more upper half of breast fullness even if you decide not to get them.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Mastopexy after massive weight loss

+1

You have lost significant breast volume and are likely left with a stretched out soft tissue skin envelope and sagging.  You should be at a baseline for a reasonable time such as 6 months before considering a breast lift.

Stephen Delia, MD

Reconstructive procedures after weight loss

+1

As a board certified reconstructive surgeon, who partners with one of the leading bariatric programs in the US, I have been asked this questions thousands of times.  A patient should only consider a procedure to tighten skin as a result of weight loss, either though a surgery or dieting, when the weight loss has stopped.  And more important when the patient is happy  with the achieved weight goal they set for themselves.  Many insurance companies will cover reconstructive procedures of the abdomen and breasts (reduction only) after weight loss.

Vincent D. DiNick, MD, DMD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy when weight has stabilized

+1

Whether from natural or bariatric surgery, you should be sure your weight has been stable for at least  3 months, preferably 6 before doing any body contouring surgery such as a breast lift.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS