Will Mastopexy Get Rid of Stretched Skin from Breast Implants?

Will a Mastopexy get rid of skin that has been stretched because of Breast Implants? I wish to have my implants taken out and want to know if the skin will remain stretched out after a mastopexy?

Breast Lifting after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

Yes, mastopexy (breast lifting) may be necessary to remove some of the “stretched skin” that may have resulted from breast implants or life circumstances such as weight gain/loss and pregnancy.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

Mastopexy and skin

+1

A matopexy will remove some skin.  AS for the skin that is stretched out, it really depends where it is located.

Breast lift will correct stretched skin after removing breast implants.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we see this problem several times a year. Removing the breast implants, and then doing a good internal breast lift should leave you with good shape and correction of loose stretched skin.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It is often best to satge this operation to see if a mastopexy is needed

+1

Numerous factors go into whether a patient will need a mastopexy or breast lift after implant removal.  I am always surprised at how well the skin retracts in many patients, eliminatting the need for a lift.  I often recommend removal of the implants first to see how the skin is going to respond.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Breast lift after implant removal

+1

J,

The mastopexy after removal of your implants will remove some of the excess stretched breast skin but the only way to say what your best option is would be to examine you and see what your options are. You should make an appointment with e a board-certified plastic surgeon who can review your options with you and best answer your questions.

I wish you well.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Mastopexy to get rid of stretched skin from Breast implants

+1

Dear J,

It all depends.

First, you must realize that removal of your implants will NOT get you the breasts you had before they were put in. If nothing else was done after implant removal, the breasts will be smaller (less breast volume due to pressure by the implants) AND the breasts will be longer, droopier.

While a short scar Hall-Findlay Mastopexy would nicely cone the breast and remove some of the excess central and midline/inferior breast skin, it cannot remove any stretch marks (if you have them on the periphery). Be aware, that a breast lift done after a breast enlargement has a higher rate of wound separation and potential nipple loss; this is especially true when the breast implant was placed OVER the muscle.

So - the answer to your questions is - Yes. It will get rid of SOME of the stretched skin and give you perky but smaller breasts.

I hope this was helpful.

Stretched skin improvement after breast augmentation

+1

A breast lift (mastopexy) can reduce and tighten the skin that has stretched as a result of having breast implants. After the implants are removed, the breast skin is stretched and may or may not contract. A mastopexy may need be performed in order to tighten the skin. I recommend that you seek a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with this, as performing a lift after breast implant removal can be risky.

Good luck.

Michael Diaz, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon