Mastopexy and Augmentation Surgery - Why Didn't my Surgeon Make Me a Small Cup Size As I Requested?

My history:- breast enlargement from A cup to E cup 400cc implants then years later smaller 300cc taking me down to a dd cup. Then again years later; 3 weeks ago from a dd cup I had a mastopexy and augmentation the surgeon took me down to a 175cc implant. I said I wanted half the dd cup size a b / c. 3 weeks post op I am devastated as I am still a huge dd cup. NO CHANGE WHATSOEVER - implant too big. I want a revision. Larger implant because of muscle tissue loss? And am I just swollen?

Why Didn't my Surgeon Make Me a Small Cup Size As I Requested?

+1

By the way this question is framed, no surgeon on line will be able to answer it--it should be addressed to your surgeon.

Without photos it is not possible to assess this. If indeed the implants were changed from 300 to 175cc, once the swelling is resolved there is no way the size can be the same, though it may not be as different as you had hoped. 

There are no universally accepted cup size definitions. Many of my patients have 3 different cup sizes in the bra drawer, sometimes all of which fit. Cup size is therefore not a particularly useful technique of communication. 

Assuming 400 cc got you up 5 cup sizes (b,c,d,dd,e), cutting back to less than half that volume should get you back way smaller than a dd. We don't know if you have gained weight and breast size since your first surgery from the narrative. But if you consider yourself a dd with only 175 cc of implants, and you want to be a b or c you should consider removing them completely. All the best. 

You need more time to heal

+1

I agree with my colleagues that you need more time to heal. Clearly you must be swollen if you had such a dramatic decrease in implant size but still feel as large as before. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Too large after revision of breasts

+1

Thank you for your question. At this point, being that it is just 3 weeks after your surgery, it is far too early to determine the final result. You may have some persistent swelling which can take longer to resolve after revisional surgery.

I would suggest trying to be patient for a couple of months before evaluating the final result. In time, you may find that they are just the size that you were hoping for.

Best of luck.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

After revision breast surgery

+1

At this point, you may have a lot of swelling, so you should really give it a few months to settle down.

Unhappy with Breast Size after Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy?

+1

I would agree with you that, given that you are only 3 weeks out of your surgery, that some swelling may still exist. Certainly, it is too early to evaluate the end results of surgery at this point.

When discussing patients' goals, I do not use bra cup sizes as a reference. As you know, cup sizes will vary from one bra manufacturer to another and is a source of frequent confusion and miscommunication.

Remember, when you are thinking about your breast size, the there  are other variables besides breast implant volume  (175 mL is a relatively small breast implant)  such as the amount of native breast tissue present.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience, allow for the healing process to continue, and continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Cup size does not correlate accurately to implant size

+1

Unfortunately the cup size system that we use to measure breast size is inconsistent and unpredictable. Cup size is based on measurements of the entire chest, not the breast volume specifically. That is one reason why it is possible to make siginifant changes in breast size without affecting cup size very much.

Richard Baxter, MD