Should I have mastopexy after removing breast implants?

I've had implants for over 30 years (silicone). After mammo and followup MRI's they are starting to break down so there's no question I want them removed. However, at 67 years of age and the fact that MRI shows nodules in my breasts, I really don't feel I want to have new implants. Am seriously considering Mastopexy to lift what little breast tissue I will have. What are your thoughts on this?

Mastopexy after explantation

+1
I think after explantation you should not have a mastopexy. You need to give your breast time to heal and you can judge their final result and may require  a lesser mastopexy. Secondly and most importantly the nodules in your breasts need to be evaluated. A mastopexy will rearrange her breast tissue and may delay in diagnosis.

Earl Stephenson Jr MD DDS FACS

Breast Lift

+1
You had breast implants for 30 years. There are changes in the breast during these 30 years, aging, thining of the breast tissue, probably thick  ?calcified capsule, Possible implant rupture????
You need a very experienced plastic surgeon and good work up for the nodules of the breast before making any plans
.
 You need a mammogram, possibly an MRI and a thorough consult and discussion of the findings and the options you may have.
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com

+1

It is difficult to give you any type of specific advice regarding the need for breast lifting, without viewing pictures or in-person examination.   In other words, whether or not you should have a breast lift will depend on your physical examination and personal goals.  You may wish to post pictures (frontal and side views of breasts) for more specific thoughts with your next post. Sometimes, in “borderline” situations, it is best to have the breast implants removed, allow for the breast skin to contract as much as it will over the course of several months and then make a decision whether or not to proceed with breast lifting surgery at a later date.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

I hope this, and the attached link helps.