Hollowed Breasts After Mastectomy with Implant Reconstruction

There is a hollowed or sunken area above the implant. Can the fat grafting help? Or would it be worth while?

Hollow area above implant after breast reconstruction

+1

Fat grafting for the hollow area above your implant is the best solution for your problem.  It is minimally invasive and usually an outpatient procedure.  The only downside is that it may take more than one treatment to get complete correction.  Make sure you go to a plastic surgeon that does this technique frequently since the results are very technique dependent.

Upper pole hollowing after implant based breast reconstruction

+1

Upper pole hollowing is a very common problem after implant based breast reconstruction.  Improvement in this area can generally be achieved with fat grafting.  The fat used is generally harvested from your abdomen and flanks by liposuction and then injected to fill the hollowed areas.  Most patients are very happy with the results!

See my answer: Fat grafting to improve results of breast reconstruction

+1

It is very common to have upper pole hollowing after placement of an implant for breast reconstruction. The reason it that most current implants are round while the breast is not. There is a tail of the breast that extends upwoard toward the collar bone. Fat grafting is a great way to repair that defect. We currently use it on selected patients who have good results but are looking for a more natural appearance. The benefits of fat grafting is the short downtime, and MANY of our patients like to have some fat taken out of the belly and put in th breast.

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Hollowing in Upper Pole of Reconstructed Breasts

+1

You have several options to correct/improve the hollowing that you describe.   First, why are you likely experiencing this hollowing?  Without an examination, I would suggest that the skin envelope is likely a bit larger than the implant used.  So one option to improve this is to go with a larger silicone gel implant.  Another option would be to consider the form-stable "ultra-cohesive" silicone gel implants (ie. Allergan 410 or Mentor CPG implants) - but these are only available in an investigation study.   Another option as my colleagues suggest is to fine tune your results with fat micrografting to "fill" in the upper pole.  Others have also advocating using acellular dermal matrices to correct this problem.   So in summary, the good news is you likely have many treatment options. Please visit with a board certiifed plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Implants after mastectomy

+1

Very commonly patients have hollowing in the upper lateral pole after breast reconstruction and it is more common with implants.  Fat grafting may help and you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Fat grafting will work

+1

This is a common issue with breast reconstruction and fat grfating works very well. The fat grafting technique very mush surgeon dependent and I have a meeting in New Orleans April 15-16 regarding different techniques.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

That is what I would recommend. Fat grafts with PRP + Stem Cell activation to help with the survival of the grafts. From MIAMI 

Fat grafting to upper pole of breast after reconstruction

+1

You describe a common deformity following breast reconstruction.  There is often a hollow in the upper pole.  Fat grafting is very helpful for this. 

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to improve results with implant reconstruction

+1

Your question is a very good one. Breast reconstruction after mastectomy is giving better results than ever before but it is not uncommon to have contour issues such as a depression or sunken area around the edges of the implant. Fat grafting is very helpful for this.