Mastectomy, Breast Reconstruction with Tummy Tuck?

I'm a BRCA positive 40 year-old in excellent health, normal weight. I'm having a prophylactic mastectomy with immediate, "one-step" reconstruction (using Alloderm and silicone implants).

Could I have a tummy tuck at the same time? I have lumpy results from a previous abdominal liposcution and a nasty appendectomy scar I'd love to be rid of!

Consider different reconstructive options

+2

There are many different reconstructive options for breast cancer. For patients that are interested in removing abdominal tissue you should talk to your surgeon about using that tissue to reconstruct your breasts. You can get excellent long term results with a very natural looking breast (most would agree more natural than implants) and get the abdominoplasty at the same time.

You should speak to a board certified plastic surgeon who performs all types of breast reconstruction.

In your case I would consider options like a pedicled TRAM or a free TRAM.

Unless you and your surgeon have specific reasons for wanting to use an implant for reconstruction (sometimes size of the reconstructed breast can be a consideration) the above options definitely should be discussed.

Call your doctor!

Steven Williams, MD

It could be possible but remember the 6 hour rule

+2

The answer to this question would depend entirely on the opinion and practice experience of your surgeon. Assuming that you could perform the surgeries in less than 6 hours, it might be reasonable to proceed. If it would take longer than that for your doctors to perform their procedures, it would be wise to separate them. Studies have shown an increased risk of complications from elective surgeries performed that take more than 6 hours to complete.

Prophylactic Mastectomy and Tummy Tuck Combination

+1
It makes a lot of sense to combine the prophylactic mastectomy and tummy tuck procedures at the same time. Typically I would perform this surgery simultaneous while your mastectomy is being performed by a separate surgeon. This dramatically decreases the operative time, plus you also recover from both procedures at the same time.

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/tummy-tuck/

Combining surgeries

+1

As long as you're cleared by your internist for the surgery, you should be okay getting both the breast reconstruction and the tummy tuck at the same time.

Web reference: http://marylandcosmeticsurgeryinc.com/photo-gallery/body-gallery/maryland-tummy-tuck-4/

Tummy tuck with immediate breast reconstruction

+1

This sounds like a combination that would be reasonable. Probably the primary concerns are the risk for DVT with PE and your surgeon will likely utilize common prophylactic measures to minimize this possibility.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Breast reconstruction with tummy tuck

+1

Using your abdominal tissues in breast reconstruction is a very effective technique. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate your physical condition and determine if you have enough abdominal tissue to re-create your breasts. When they close the wound, they can close it like a tummy tuck. Patients appreciate this reconstruction because it uses their own tissue and can re-contour the abdomen at the same time.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Web reference: http://www.miamiaesthetic.com/abdominoplasty_photos.htm

Tummy tuck with breast reconstruction

+1

I would have to agree with the majority of the surgeons posting on this question. A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a significant surgical procedure. To undergo prophylactic mastectomies and reconstruction is typically a 3-4 hour procedure already.

Adding a tummy tuck is too much surgery at one time. In addition, the surgical risks, particularly of a DVT or Pulmonary Embolism increase significantly when combining a tummy tuck with other major procedures.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Safety is most important

+1

Although it would be possible to have a tummy tuck at the same time as your mastectomies and implant reconstruction, it sounds like too much surgery in one setting. The good news is that, even patients who have excellent immediate reconstruction will require some type of minor secondary breast revision surgery about 6-12 months after the first operation. That would be a great time to have your abdominoplasty.

Tummy tuck at same time as breast reconstruction is too much

+1

I assume you discussed using your abdominal tissue to reconstruct the breasts and decided against this option. If you are having immediate reconstruction with implants, I would not have any other surgery at the same time. It is too much. You can have the abdominoplasty at a later date. Good luck.

Different options available for you

+1

There are so many correct answers to this question. You could proceed with the bilateral mastectomy/implant reconstruction option and a tummy tuck. However, it seems wiser to perform this procedure at the time of nipple reconstruction. Another different option is to use the abdominal skin for breast reconstruction. Liposuction is not an absolute contra-indication to TRAM flap. Hope that helps!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/tummy-tuck/