Is Massaging Nose After Rhinoplasty Recommended?

Massaging a nose after Rhinoplasty is common in the Czech Republic. Plastic surgeons get their patients doing it from about 2 weeks onward. The massages aren't just a 'tickle' but can sometimes be a little painful.

The surgeons say (in general) that massaging a nose after surgery doesn't disturb the delicate work done and that massages prevent the formation of scar tissue and help the new nose 'settle in'.

But after reading some of the discussions here, it seems that post-operative massage is not that common elsewhere! What's everyone's opinion on this? Thank you.

Massaging nose after rhinoplasty surgery not recommended

+1

Postoperative massaging of the nose after a rhinoplasty operation will not have any bearing whatsoever on the healing process of the nose. It will not make the nose settle in nor will it prevent scar tissue formation.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Nasal Massage

+1

I do not recommend nasal massage two weeks after surgery. If I want to narrow the nose, I prefer to do this at the time of surgery. Unfortunately, the multiple components of the nose can easily be manipulated within four to six weeks of surgery; the patient may massage too much or too hard. The swelling will eventually resolve.

Do not massage the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

It can twist the nose and make it crooked. It can flare up and acne break out on the nasal skin and can even start a nosebleed.

There is no reason to massage it.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging the nose after Rhinoplasty is not recommended

+1

I'm not in favor of this practice. Occasionally the nasal bones can slightly displace after rhinoplasty. It is in this case that i will encourage the patient to massage the bony portion to try to narrow it as it is healing. Otherwise, I don't think that massage assists in healing process during the post-operative phase.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging the nose is unnecessary

+1

I was actually trained to have my patient squeeze the bony portion of their nose several times daily to provide additional narrowing .  However I abandoned this practice many years ago as I feel it actually did little more than giving the patient something to do.

Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.