Can Massaging my Saline Breast Implants Cause Them to Rupture?

I'm doing my massages to help them drop but I'm so scared of rupturing them during massage. Is this concern unreasonable? Can someone instruct me on the proper way to massage and let me know the chances of rupture if I'm using the wrong technique? Thanks!

Implant Massage and Rupture

+1

I doubt that you would massage vigorously enough to rupture your implants. Implants are very durable and can withstand a lot. In my opinion, massaging them by simply laying on them helps keep the scar soft. 

Implant Massage and Implant Injury

+1

There is no chance of injuring your saline implant when massaging. However, if you are still uncomfortable, you don't need to massage them: there has never been any scientific evidence that massage does anything at all, except to give the patient something to do while their breasts heal and settle on their own.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Massaging after augmentation

+1

It is very unlikely that massaging your implants after your surgery will damage or rupture your saline implants.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon for postoperative care instructions.  

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Massaging will not rupture implants.

+1

Hi, there.  It is very unlikely that massaging will rupture/deflate the saline implant.  These days, implants are very well made.  Unless you have a very traumatic accident to your chest, the implant should stay intact.  In regards to massaging technique, you should consult your plastic surgeon.  All plastic surgeons differ in our post-operative instruction/activities/limitations/methods of massaging.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Massage and Risk of Implant Rupture

+1

Although no one can guarantee that any activity won't cause a breast implant to leak or rupture, the likelihood of damaging a breast implant while performing breast massage is extremely low.   There are a number of techniques in performing breast massage, check with your surgeon to see how they would suggest you perform the massage.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast massage

+1

You will not rupture your implants with proper breast massage...ask your surgeon as not all implants should be massaged.  Massage (implan displacement exercises) are only for smooth surface implants.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon