Massaging Incisions After Liposuction to Help Stretch Scar Tissue?

I am 3 weeks post lipo of the abdomen and flanks. The two incisions at my lower abdomen are slightly indented and have some hardness/scar tissue under them so my surgeon told me to massage the areas with one finger in a circular motion to help stretch the scar tissue out. Should I massage around the incisions and avoid putting my finger right on the incisions since it could irritate the wound (and hurts a little)? However that is directly where the little lump of scar tissue is...

Massaging scars after surgery

+1

Hello Nattasha.  Massaging scars after liposuction surgery, or any surgery, can help soften them. If they're too tender to directly massage at this time, it may be helpful to use a little lotion or moisturizer on the scar while massaging.  

Of course you need to check with your plastic surgeon to make sure your scars are healed well enough to do this. I hope this helps and wish you all the best.

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Massaging your scars can help.

+1

Although it may be slightly uncomfortable, gentle massaging of your scars will help to soften them over time.  There is no need to press to hard, but with time and patience you should should see improvement.  Expect the improvement to be final in 6 - 8 months.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD