Massaging to Improve Shape of Implant After Exchange Surgery?

I had expander/implant exchange one month ago. The shape of the implants worries me because they look unnatural and square instead of rounded. Will massaging daily help to improve the shape over time ? I am using bio oil for scarring and have been massaging both breasts twice a day. This also helps alleviate the tightness and hardness I've been experiencing since the exchange surgery. I've read it takes months for the implants to drop and fluff (?) Is this correct ? Thank You for your time.

Tissue expander and implant exchange

+1

Every one responds differently to implant exchange. It may take several months for the breasts to soften and for the implants to settle. Keep on eye on the,w ith your surgeon.

Different opinions about implant massage

+1

You will find a variety of opinions about the benefits of massage to the breasts after implant placement. I have found no evidence that it decreases scar contracture, but in the first weeks after surgery it can help counter muscle tension that could affect where the implants sits. You should discuss with your own plastic surgeon and follow his or her advice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Massage Technique

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Massage is advised after breast augmentation to prevent overgrowth of the tissue and hardening of the breasts. Breast implant massage techniques move the implant around in the pocket created during surgery. This preventative measure also allows the breast to become softer and fall into place for a more natural look and feel.

Massaging after breast augmentation provides many benefits including reducing your chances of capsular contracture. It is typically advised that you begin massaging one week after your breast augmentation procedure.
It is important to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions.
As for the ‘drop and fluff’, generally the changes can take anywhere up to a year.

I have provided a link below for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!
Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Shape post aug

+1

There is  a certain amount of time for the swelling to go away and the implants top settle.Massage helps and I would just be patient.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after Breast Implant Surgery?

+1

You will find that your own plastic surgeon is by far the best resource you have.  Online consultants, without the benefit of knowing your  situation and/or examining you, cannot provide you with precise advice. On the contrary, the advice you receive will be nonspecific and potentially confusing or conflicting with what your plastic surgeon advises.

I would suggest that you request an additional follow-up visit with your plastic surgeon to discuss concerns and suggestions to improve your situation.

Need time for the skin to stretch out over the implant

+1

You mention that you had expander / implant exchage one month ago, you do not state if this was for a breast reconstruction or breast augmentation.  I am assuming that your surgery was for breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.   If this is the case you skin will need more time to stretch out over the implant.  If  the implant feels square it may be due to the pocket being too small for the base diameter of the implant.  Massage of any type, in this early post operative period is certainly beneficial and highly recommended.  Your plastic surgeon should instruct you on how and when to perform the massage.  Give things another 2 - 3 months to stretch out then re-evaluate.  

Massaging to Improve Shape

+1

Yes, this is correct.

I believe breast massage works. It is not uncommon to have a poor shape just after surgery. As the tissues stretch, the shape improves and looks more normal. It can take some time for this to happen, so be patient. Massage is also called implant displacement techniques, and this can help this in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Dr. Chris Saunders

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon