Massaging Breast Implant Downwards After Capsulorrhaphy on the Lateral Aspect, For How Long Is This Effective?

I recently had revision surgery- capsulorrhaphy on the lateral sides of the implants. Now they appear to be a lot higher than before. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from staying this high? I'm tempted to start massaging them downwards right away, but I don't want to put pressure on the sides & open up the repaired tissue. I also don't want to wait too long before massaging & risk having them stay this high. How long after surgery is massaging or wearing a breast band still effective?

Breast Augmentation

+1

I always have my patients massage implants daily for one year.  While not a scientific data supported practice, I have very few capsule problems.  I hope this info helps.

Massage after Capsulorrhaphy

+1

Yes, with any revision, the breast implants sit higher until things heal.  I think that you should talk to your surgeon as well because only he or she know what type of repair was performed and if massage will help or may damage the repair.  Revisionary surgery is much different than the first time around so take the advice of your surgeon.

Massage after capsule repairs

+1

Massage can bring your implants down after a capsule repair for an implant that has 'fallen off'' to the side, though they probably should not be higher in the first place if the capsule was shaped to hold the implant centered within the breast. We would like to see the result as 'perfect' at the time of repair, and then hold the result in a snug bra so the capsule repair holds tight. Hard to say just what to do. Your surgeon may have insights. Massage will do it, however you are likely to open up the side of the capsule again as well. You do have time, several months so be careful.

peterejohnsonmd

Adjusting breast implant position after surgery

+1

All breast implants settle over time. To help high riding implants settle more quickly you are better off wearing a bandeau bra then with simple massage alone. Discuss this with your surgeon: if extra effort was made in surgery to support the inframammary fold he or she may not want you to push the implants down.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast Massage after Surgery

+1

While breast massage may be very helpful, you really need to discuss this with your surgeon since only he or she knows exactly what was done during surgery.  You just had a secondary surgery, so it is not as straightforward as a primary breast augmentation.  So you are correct to be cautious.  Also, you are still a recent post-op, so as the tissues settle and the swelling resolves, you should see positive improvements.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD