Massages After Lipo & VelaShape

How often should I get a massage after lipo? I am 4 weeks post op right now, what type of massage should I get & how often? Are deep tissue massages the best? I had lipo on my hips, thighs, and abdomen. Also, would you recommend VelaShape instead of massages? Or perhaps a combination of the two (velaShape & deep tissue massage)?, and how often? I was told every week for the first 4-6 weeks but that seems a lot. I am looking to maintain my liporesults, in addition to a healthy diet & exercise.

Massage after liposuction

+1
As the discomfort gradually subsides, you should begin gently massaging the treated areas. This is usually possible by day 7-10. Massage will help to decrease the swelling faster and to smooth out any irregularities.

Massage each area in all directions using your hands, or, a soft paint roller. Massage should be done once or twice a day for up to 20 minutes.

Some patients hire a massage therapist two to three times per week. You can also perform the massage yourself which would be more cost effective.

However, please ask your surgeon first for their advice. They may have different guidelines.

Check back with your doctor for recommendations.

+1

You should check with your doctor for recommendations following liposuction to make sure that you are doing the best procedure for your particular situation.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon