Should I Massage the Lumps the First Day I Get Juvederm?

I just got Juvaderm today and have noticed a few lumps. The doctor told me I'd have swellling. I had a pretty big lump on my forehead, between my eyes. I massaged that and it went away. I'm wondering if I should be massaging right now or just waiting and seeing what happens in the next 24 hours and massaging later if need be.

Massaging after Juvederm

+2

I advise all my patients to follow a "hands off" approach to the treated areas after any filler injections. At the time of the injection treatments, I will massage all of the filler products so they are exactly where I want them. Once my patient leaves the office they have been instructed to wash the area gently and to use sunscreens and moisturizing lotions as needed. Both Juvederm and Restylane are made of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin. They will often cause immediate swelling which can be made worse by the patient manipulating the area. So the best way to keep the filler from "moving around" would be to leave it alone!

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

I don't like patients to massage after Juvederm

+2

Personally, I prefer my patients NOT massage, as they can move Juvederm around into unwanted areas, causing more lumps or other problems. I like my patients to leave everything alone for at least a few days, and then see me if there are any problems because I can make adjustments much better than the patients can.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Avoid Massaging After Juvederm Filler

+1
I recommend that you do not massage the filler as you do not want to press too hard and/or move the filler into the wrong place. Lumps and bumps usually resolve on their own, once the filler starts to get incorporated with your own skin tissue. It would be best if you book a follow up appointment with your injector in 1-2 weeks, and he/she can massage any residual lumps or bumps at that time.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Massaging after filler

+1

I advise not to massage the filler that I have injected unless the patient clearly feels or sees a lump; in this case, I'd prefer to see it for myself and massage it out for them. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I massage Juvederm lumps the first day injected?

+1

My recommendation would be to wait a few days to be sure it's not just swelling. Massage too early on, can cause more trauma and create more swelling. Be patient for at least 72 hrs. Then see your provider if you still feel or see lumps. They should be easy to correct. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Lumps after injection

+1

I would recommend a call to the person who injected you.  He or she would be able to better advise you since they know how much product was placed and where.  It isn't uncommon to have some swelling after injection, which may be what you're experiencing. If it is swelling, it should subside within a few days.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Whether to Massage after Juvederm Injections

+1

Thanks for your question!

For your best outcome and safety, please see your doctor regarding any persistent lumps. There may be some swelling immediately after the injections that can last until the next day. Trying to massage the area will move the Juvederm around and may end up looking worse, giving you a result you do not want. Take care!

Shankar Lakshman, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Juvederm

+1

If you observe lumps, then consult the injector. Any massage should be done under the specific guidance of the objector as many injectors prefer to do any massage himself/herself.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

No massage

+1

After allowing the swelling to resolve for a couple days, if you have any concerns, you should see you doctor and allow him/her to examine you.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lump and massage after filler

+1

Without an exam, it is difficult to say, but the best approach for you would be to speak with your doctor.