What is Best to Massage into Suture Line After Adominoplasty

Massage, Topical Silicone Solution, IPL, and 1540 Laser can all be used to improve Tummy Tuck Scar

+2

Of course you must discuss this with your surgeon-do not take any action without his/her approval.

I routinely have patients start gentle but firm massage of the Tummy Tuck suture line at 2 weeks after surgery. In addition I recommend that they start topical silicone solution applications (Scarguard is the only one I have had success with) at 2 weeks.

Tummy Tuck scars are prone to redness and lumpiness because of the significant pull or stretch on the scar.

If scars become red and "itchy" IPL (Intense Pulsed Light or Photofacial) treatments can reduce the redness effectively. This is safe than topical steroids which can cause permanent redness and thinning of the skin.

If scars become "lumpy' or raised, I use the 1540 Non ablative Erbium laser which is very effective at remodeling scar tissue and flattening the scar

+2

I lean toward silicone based products such as the silicone sheeting or silicone gel for massage on the scar. Vit E and Mederma have not been shown to be effective, but I also think (my opinion) that the massage has a lot to do with it and not just putting it on!!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Aftercare?

+2

It would be best for you to see what your plastic surgeon prefers to use (if anything) for incision line care after tummy tuck surgery.

I personally prefer the use of silicone-based products including cream or silicone sheeting.

Massaging a scar does no good.

+1

First of all, follow the recommendations of your doctor.  Massaging a scar does not help it and may make it worse by releasing histamine and increasing inflammation.