Massage Radiesse in Lip?

Radiesse absorption

+2

Massaging Radiesse is unlikely to speed the rate of absorption. You may be able to smooth out the injection and make its appearance more desirable however. If it is only the way the Radiesse feels, however, I would encourage you to leave it alone. If it also appears unfavorable, you may want to visit with the physician who injected you and see what they can offer.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in the lips not the first choice, usually

+1

Good question.  I don't think Radiesse is my first choice for lip treatment usually.  I love it for the cheeks, back of hands, temples, marionette lines and nasolabial folds. I think the fillers of hyaluronic acid like Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero are good first choices.  Firm massage can help break up the lumps of Radiesse.  Of course, radiesse can also be removed though a small incision by a qualifed doctor as well.  Good Luck,

Robert F. Gray, MD, FACS

Robert F. Gray, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massaging Radiesse

+1

Radiesse in the lips is a curious choice due to the tendency to look lumpy or uneven  if injected into the lips. Massage will generally not help.  Time is the best recommendation as radiesse will break down generally in 6 months to a year.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Re: Massage Radiesse in Lip?

+1

It is difficult to say if massaging your lip will help the Radiesse dissolve quicker, however, it does not hurt to try. I would recommend using some type of lubricant to reduce friction on the lip. The good news is that Radiesse is not a permanent filler and will dissolve over time. Worst case scenario you have to wait till the product dissolves on its own, typically nine or more months from the time it was injected.

Joseph Serota, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in The Lips

+1

Stimulatory filler, such as Radiesse or Sculptra should be avoided in the lips, as there is a higher risk of nodularity in this area. Hyaluronic acid is much better suited for injection in this area, as it can be removed with Hyaluronidase if you are not happy with it.

Massage and manual compression are quite effective in removing Radiesse nodules from the lips. In my experience, most nodules are gone by three months using this technique. The compression is VERY firm like crunching a Cheerio.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is to be Avoided in the Lips

+1

In areas of forceful muscle activity (around the eyes and mouth), Radiesse has a tendency to form nodules. It is best to avoid this filler in these areas and to use a softer hyaluronic acid based agent (Restylane, Juvederm). I would avoid massaging Radiesse unless a specific nodule is felt and ask the Physician who performed the injection before doing anything.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse in the lips can clump

+1

While some people have injected radiesse safely and effectively into the lips, the product does have a tendency in the lips to clump and give the appearance and feel of a bump/nodule. For this reason, it is seldom to find specialist physicians like dermatologists and plastic surgeons injecting radiesse into the lips.

Although hyaluronic acids don't last as long in the lips, they give a natural appearance and soft feel, and if there is a problem can be easily dissolved with hyaluronidase. When doing elective/cosmetic treatments, safety should always be paramount.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't inject Radiesse in your lips!

+1

Radiesse lip injections are strongly discouraged by doctors and the company. Radiesse will appear clumpy and uneven in lips, and should be avoided. You have other options such as Restylane and Juvederm for your lips should you wish to have them injected.

If you already had the Radiesse injected, you can try to massage out some of the lumpiness, but you might not be successful. Your best treatment is time - it should wear itself out in about a year. The only other option is to cut it out, and I wouldn't advise this.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist