How to Massage Nose After Nasal Fracture Reduction

I had closed nasal fracture reduction, due to a broken nose, about 1 week ago. Today I finally got the cast off. To my surpise my doctor kept pushing my nose from one side, then he finally said that I had to put pressure on my nose whenever I remembered everyday due to some swelling on the left side. My question is: How exactly do I do this? Do I push or massage? and if so how? I asked him to show me how much pressure to put and when he did it was quite a large amount

A Broken nose need NOT be Massaged after Reduction

+2

Regarding: "How to Massage Nose After Nasal Fracture Reduction
"

When a nose is broken, the pup tent structure or bony pyramid is splayed and shifted sideways. Depending on WHEN in the subsequent healing period the surgeon returns to reduce (medicalese for put the bones back in their original position) the sifted and broken bones, the moving could be easy or NOT. When you reduce a freshly fractured nose, you really feels and see the nose moving AND changing shape.

It should NOT require hard pressure after wards. Such pressure is applied in the hope that somehow an incomplete reduction may move the bones the surgery did not move. It will not do the job and it will not reduce the swelling.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Massage after Closed Reduction Nasal Fracture

+1

First, let me say I don't  personally recommmend massage after nasal surgery. Have your surgeon clarify and demonstrate exactly what should be done.

Nasal Surgery, Septoplasty, Rhinoplasty, Reconstructive surgery

+1

Nasal swelling will decrease on the sides of the nose over the first few weeks.  Closed nasal reduction can make it difficult  to appreciate the alignment of the bones depending on the swelling that is already present.  Review preop photos.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Noses don't need "massage" after rhinoplasty.

+1

Sounds like your nose still may be deviated and "massage" won't help. If it is swelling, it will go away with time.