To Massage or Not to Massage?

I was advised by my PS to not massage (Im 3 days Post OP). He had mentioned that he didn't want to risk any unecessary shifting of my implants; however, I've noticed others being given the green light to start massaging as early as the day after their BA. I'm following my PS's adivce but was curious as to the potential harm that could happen if I were to massage my breasts. Why are there conflicting answers depending the PS you have?

To Massage or Not to Massage?

+2

I would follow your surgeon's advice. You chose him based on outcomes, and his patients presumably got their outcomes following his routine instructions. None of us do things precisely the same way, and the evidence on massage is soft at best. With the newest implants (Allergan 410), patients are actually advised not to massage. 

All the best. 

Massage after augmentation surgery

+2

Personally, I do not think that massaging helps. I also don't think it is damaging as long as it isn't painful while massaging. Obviously, the massage should not be as vigorous right after surgery as it can be after healing. So I tell my patients that they can massage if they want to as long as it is not painful. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Massaging breasts

+2

There is no scientific evidence supporting the use of breast massage after breast augmentation.  Many surgeons suggest doing it. I do not think it can hurt for most patients if they are instructed on how to do it.  Inherently to me it makes sense.

When to start breast implant massage?

+2

Every plastic surgeon will have a different post operative routine following a breast augmentation.  I generally have the patients start light massage between the first and second week.  Follow your plastic surgeons advice.

Massage or not?

+2

Hello and thank you for your question.

I personally don't think its a good idea to start massaging right away, not matter what implants are used.  I have my patients wait 1 -2 weeks before this happens, then give them specific instructions on how to massage, what direction, what to look for etc.  During surgery, I place the implants exactly where I want them, so I like to let this area heal a little bit before any manipulation is done.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage after breast augmentation surgery

+2

It depends on your surgeons preferences and they type of breast implants used. For example if you had got the form stable anatomically shaped cohesive silicone gel implants "Gummy Bear" implants you are not supposed to massage the implants so you do not move them out of place.

Follow your surgeons instructions since he knows what he had done during surgery.

Good luck

Web reference: http://www.talroudnerplasticsurgery.com/breast/breast-augmentation-miami-fl/

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast massage after breast augmentation

+1

Breast "massage" is designed to keep the breast soft by stretching the pocket, or capsule, that it is in.  As you push the implant right, left, up and down, the forming capsule will stretch, and avoid being tight around the implant.  I personally wait about two weeks to begin this, because the breast is swollen and massage causes inflammation while the breast is trying to heal.  This varies depending on the degree of swelling.

Web reference: http://diehlplasticsurgery.com/gallery/breast-surgery-gallery/breast-augmentation.html

Long Island Plastic Surgeon