How to massage liposuctioned areas?

I'm just 8 weeks PO from a full tummy tuck with lipo to the flanks and back. The tummy tuck healing was a breeze compared to the liposuction. Some of the lipo areas are still swelling and causing me pain and discomfort by the end of the day. I have been massaging these areas often and aggressively using hard pressure each day. Would I be better off using light pressure on them or keep up with deep, hard pressure. The areas that most bother me are at my sides, at the bottom of my ribs.

Liposuction Recovery

+2

I typically tell my patients that they will start seeing results 4-6 weeks post surgery. After two weeks, you are likely still swollen. You can also start massaging the areas treated to help any residual swelling. Small circular motions to start and massage deeper if it you don't have any discomfort.  If you have discomfort contact your surgeon

Massage after liposuction

+2
  1. If your post-liposuction  massage hurts, don't do it.
  2. A rolling pin rolled up and down the area may be best.
  3. Tender nodules on the sides are common. Pain can be helped with an injection of local anesthesia and dilute steroid.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Massage After TT

+2
If massage hurts or causes swelling, don't do it so aggressively. Common sense prevails.
Consult your surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon