Massage Breast Implants?

My surgeon said I was not to manipulate the implants, workout etc for at least 6 weeks but I have seen a lot of posts of people doing massage techniques and exercises. I am 4 weeks post op and my breasts are still really high, would massage help this?

Massage to avoid down and out appearance after breast augmentation

+1

The benefit of massage of an implant is to keep the pocket larger than the implant itself.  I believe this is important because when you go to get a mammogram they will need to manipulate the implant or move it out of the way so that the breast can be adequately imaged.  I also believe that it is the implant itself that keeps the capsule open.  Gravity takes care of down and out, massage is needed to maintain up and in.  No one wants to have the down and out look. 

Breast Implant Massage

+1

If the implants are still high after 4 weeks we would institute a massage regimen of the upper poles to facilitate settling/dropping.  This is dependent on many factors including size, tissue compliance,  and implant shape.  I would recommend consulting with your surgeon before instituting massage exercises on your own.

Christopher J. Schaffer, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

In our practice we don’t advice our patients to message there implants. If your implants are placed under the muscle there is no need to message. Every time you move your arms they auto message.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Masaging breasts

+1

I like to have patients massage for most primary breast augmentations and many secondaries where the implants were exchanged and no major pocket manipulation was performed.  Some doctors do not recommend it,and there is no scientific studies supporting its use. It also depends upon if you had any specific issues( capsular contracture, bottoming out, lateral displacment,etc..)

Massaging breast implants

+1
You did not post what type of implants you had put in. If they are shaped, textured implants you would definitely not want to massage them! Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

There is no advantage to massaging breast implants.

+1

Although recommended by some plastic surgeons, studies show that there is no benefit to massage of breast implants when trying to decrease the incidence of capsular contracture.

Massage Breast Implants?

+1

Michelle:

The fact that there are so many variants in postoperative instructions given to patients with breast augmentation is a good indicator that we really don't know what is best. Otherwise we would all used the same instructions.

If you have concerns about the position of the implant at 4 weeks it is worthwhile putting a call in to surgeon. It is quite common for the implants to appear higher on the chest wall early in the postoperative period than they will be after they have settled into position.

Your best bet is to follow the instructions that you're surgeon has found to work best with his patients. Thank you for your question and best wishes.

Massage after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, I would suggest that you follow his/her recommendations. Member that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care. Although you will likely receive a variety of advice from online consultants, it will be best for you to follow postoperative recommendations…