Massage and Scarring After Submental Lipo?

I am a 50 year old woman. I had submental liposuction about 2 1/2 months ago (+ chin implant). I've read questions from patients here who want to know when to massage and about scarring. I am confused. My doctor said nothing about massage. Also, where is the scarring that people are referring to? I only have a tiny dot at the base of my chin. Are you guys talking about scarring beneath the skin? I want to have a neck and face lift later on, so I want my neck to be in the best condition possible.

Massage is not indicated for improving a scar.

+1

There's no evidence that massage has any benefit on wound healing. In fact, vigorous massage causes release of histamine that may actually make scarring worse.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag.php?ID=20

Submental Liposuction

+1

At our office, we perform several submental liposuction procedures.  We always have postoperative massage performed by our licensed masseuse or aestheticians to help with smoothening the skin, reducing scar tissue, and helping with reducing swelling.  I believe it helps with tightening the skin as well.  We also have patients continue a regimen at home.  Hope that helps.  Good Luck!