Massage After Implants Recommended So They Drop?

Is it always recommended to massage your breasted so your implants drop?

Breast Massage

+1

No, it is recommended that your massage your implants to prevent capuslar contractor; more importantly breast compressions prevent capuslar contrators from forming.

+1

I always recommend massage to my patients after breast augmentation...As the capsule forms around the implant I like it to eventually be a bit larger than the implant itself and I think this gives a softer breast ultimately...By moving your implant around it not only relaxes the tissue below allowing it to drop a bit, but makes your body think your implant is really bigger than it is and so forms a larger capsule, in my opinion.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage after breast augmentation

+1

Implants that are too high sometimes present after sub-muscular augmentation, but this can occur after any augmentaiton surgery.  Early on (first two months), steady pressure on the upper pole can help implants settle.  I often recommend a bandeau bra (with a strap that goes over the upper pole of each breast) to help things along. This is particularly useful for submuscular implants. Massage doesn't help much.

Implants that do not settle need to be revised. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Breast implants do not drop. They have to start out in the right place.

+1

Hi.

I don't know how this idea gets spread around, but I don't think it is true.  Implants should look great at the end of the operation.  If they are too high, they will probably stay that way.  Unfortunately, massage does not help.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Massage after breast augmentation depends on the circumstances

+1

Some surgeons recommend massage, some do not.  Round implants can be massaged, shaped implants should not be massaged because they can rotate and developed an abnormal shape.

In my practice I do ask my patients to massage round implants.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Massage After Implants Recommended

+1

Generally, it is encouraged for patients who have had breast implant surgery to perform breast massage. The breast massage should be performed based on instruction of the surgeon and/or medical staff. Typically, patients perform the massage initially 4 times a day using a continuous pressure for 2 minutes on each breast. The length of time to perform the massage exercises will be based on a case by case basis. For some patients other exercises may be prescribed as well.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant massage, some do, some don't

+1

You will find on this site that some surgeons recommend implant massage, and some don't. We do not, and our patients go into a snug bra and upper compression band for two weeks after.

Implant massage

+1

I usually recommend that my patients who have smooth wall implants massage their breasts after surgery for several months.  Though we call this massage, we really want to shift the implant around inside its capsule.  This can help softening and dropping.  If a patient has textured implants or are too high we can also have them wear a breast stabilizer band that can exert downward pressure on your breasts.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Position

+1

Implants that are slightly high in the immediate postoperative period often come down into a lower position, and I do recommend implant massage for my patients.  It is important to check with your doctor before embarking on these types of treatments.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon