Massage After Face Lift? (photo)

I am at day 17 after chin and lower face lift. I had a great deal of swelling/brusing the first week. I have a large scab at the incision site on my right ear and chin. I have seen my PS each week post op and he says not to worry, that everyone heals different. I am using an antibiotic on the scab areas.The cheek swelling has gone down but the area by my ears and along my chin is hard and still bruised. I hear massage helps. Can you advise on just how to do this and how much to do it.

Day 17 Following Chin Implant and Facelift

+1

At day 17, I would leave scabs and scars alone.  I would let the areas continue to heal without intervention until at least 4 weeks.

Scabs After Facelift

+1

The scabs seen after your facelift most likely represent skin necrosis.  Bare in mind, scabs can also represent infection and other possibilities as well.  This needs to be followed closely with local wound care.  Typically covered wounds heal better than uncovered wounds.  The scab is acting as a biologic wound dressing to this area.  The area will continue to heal and contract and may heal without a scar depending on the depth of the skin slough.  It may require additional procedures to improve as well at a future date.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage After Face Lift?

+1

Sorry for your postoperative complications of small hematoma and skin edge necrosis. I recommend aggressive lymphatic massage and external ultrasound to MY patients. This is not self administered. Bestv to ask your surgeon! 

Healing after face lift surgery

+1

Based on your photos, you have 2 areas of skin slough, or epidermolysis;  it happens occasionally after face lift surgery, more commonly in smokers. This usually heal well - just continue to follow up with your surgeon for postoperative care.  I usually advise the use of topical antibiotics until scabs slough off and to avoid sun exposure during healing phase to prevent hyperpigmentation. Would not recommend massage though.

Massage after facelift surgery

+1

Based on your pictures it appears that you have some healing issues by your right ear and also under your chin.  While everyone heals differently, it will take longer for you to heal these areas as you can tell from the prolonged "scabbing."  The advice that others have given you is correct that you should follow your surgeon's instructions carefully.  Also, avoid temptation to pick the scabs for pressure your surgeon to excise them.  Let the skin heal from below.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Massage after facelift

+1
You should follow your surgeon's regimen. I would not encourage massage while a patient is still scabbed and bruised. Unfortunately, some patients bruise more than others and things need to settle down.

Massage after facial surgery

+1

You appear to have some healing issues after your surgery.  Only your surgeon should guide you in your post operative care.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Facelift Aftercare

+1

I have listed the general instructions that I give my facelift patients below both in written form and video format. Most important is to listen to your plastic surgeon's advice. Only he/she knows the extent of the surgery performed and how well you are responding to the healing process which cannot  be accessed simply by a photo.

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/pdf/post-op/face-lift.pdf