Tummy tuck scar revision. Extra skin excision didn't work and the scar is worse - what can be done now?

I have given brith to three kids (twins and a single) and never gained much weight but ended up with extra wrinkled skin. Since I didn't have a lot of weight to contend with, I was told a tummy tuck did not sense. My doctor suggested excising the loose skin and getting the belly flatter (albeit not perfect.). After the excision, it is now flatter, but looks horrible. How can I fixe this sunburst scar issue?

Tummy Tuck and Scar Revision

+1
Unfortunately, extra skin excision can result in the “sunburst.” To determine the best option for you, consult in-person with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Not Happy After Skin Excision

+1
Only an in-person consultation can give you a definitive opinion.  But from your photos you look to be a very good candidate for a real abdominoplasty.  Patients and surgeons sometimes shy away from this reality, hoping that skin tightening lasers or limited skin incisions can produce a result worth paying for.

In my experience it is the rare patient who will benefit by a "mini" abdominoplasty.  Seek in-office consultations from experienced board certified plastic surgeons.  Best of luck.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Much depends on what your discussion with your surgeon included

+1
and if your surgeon was an experienced one, he/she would be able to predict the results of such a procedure and should have conveyed it to you in photos or descriptions.  Once my patients are told of the sunburst, most do not choose this option, as tempting as it may be sometimes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy tuck usually best option for loose skin after pregnancy

+1
Sorry to hear about your situation - was it a plastic surgeon who did the skin excision? A tummy tuck is done for one or more of the following reasons: Loose skin with stretch marks (like what I see in the pictures); localized excess fat; or muscle separation, called a diastasis. So you do not have to have excess fat to qualify for a tummy tuck. Scars do fade and improve with time, so yours will probably look better after a while, but it may be difficult now to convert to a tummy tuck because of where the scar is. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Richard Baxter, MD