Do I need to replace breast implants sometime in my lifetime?

I haven't had any cosmetic surgery yet. I am trying to determine if it will be worthwhile to spend money on my nose or breast.

Do I need to Replace Breast Implants in my Lifetime

+2
You need to be prepared to have to replace breast implants in your lifetime.  Because you might have to.  But they are replaced only on an as-needed or as-desired basis.  Implant rupture is one reason implants might be replaced, and this occurs in about 3% of smooth round implants over 10 years.  Desire to change size, particularly after pregnancy, breast feeding, or weight gain or loss, are other reasons to change implants.

The most interesting point you raised is whether to have breast implants or rhinoplasty.  Only you can decide what is most important to you.  Think carefully about both options, so that you will choose what is most likely to please you the most.  Best of luck.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Do breast implants need to be replaced in your lifetime

+2
The FDA states that breast implants are not lifetime devices.  However the best information available is that 23-25% of breast implant patients will need a second operation in the first 10 years.  Understand that this percentage of figure includes patients who request a reoperation simply to have larger breast implants.

In my experience I have seen many patients who have breast implants without problems even after 30 years.

Most important thing is that you have your breast augmentation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  If you have an optimal result meaning you do not develop capsular contraction or other problem then you have a good chance of being in the 75% of patients who do not have revision surgery at 10 years.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast implants forever

+2
No medical device is done to be inside your body without need of revision or replacement so you have to get a full evaluation with a plastic surgeon to clear your doubts and get good advises about the procedures you want to have done, Good Luck!

Australia Fragoso Baez, MD

Breast implants and a life time

+2
I would say that based upon the data, assume that if you get implants that sometime in the future you will need to have another operation.  Good luck.

+2
 Thank you for the question.  On the one hand, breast implants are not considered “lifetime devices”. When a young lady has breast augmentation she should be aware that it is most likely that she will end up having at least one or two more breast operations done in her lifetime.  On the other hand, there is no time limit as to when you will need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you'd like to change the size.
Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you don't need to do anything.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Replace implants

+1
You do not have to replace your implants unless they are causing you a problem. The FDA estimates the implants to have a 10 year lifespan... however, if you have no issues; do not develop capsular contracture or implant ruptures, there is no reason to change them. What bothers you the most, your nose or your breast?
Good luck!

R. Michael Koch, MD
Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon