Worried Full TT or Mini TT ? (photos)

I'm scheduled for a mini TT w/lipo on love handles 5/27/14 surgeon said he cannot perform lipo on stomach I do not understand why, I am 42 yr 5.4 inches tall weight 136 I exersize 6 days a week but can't seem to loose anything in my abdomonal area as well loose skin I've has 3 children one c section. My goal is a flat belly and less visable strech marks I'd like to have none but I'm being realistic. I'm very nervious about getting the results I want am I a good canadite for a mini TT ?

Mini versus Full Tummy Tuck

+2
It all comes down to the muscle plication.   A "mini" tuck will NOT repair the ROUNDNESS of your abdomen.  The roundness is due to weakness and separation of your muscles.  Liposuction can thin the outer layer of fat cells, but will not tighten or flatten the muscle layer.  Only a full abdominoplasty will allow the plastic surgeon to sew the muscles together all the way from the xiphoid to the pubis down the midline of your abdomen to give you a very flat result.  Mini abdominoplasty will remove some skin below your umbilicus and perhaps tighten the muscles below your umbilicus but this can sometimes accentuate the roundness above your umbilicus.  These are all considerations which you must realize before deciding on which procedure to have.

Good Luck.  

Recommend a second opinion.

+2
The recommendation of your doctor doesn't quite add up.  Whether or not you go with a full or mini abdominoplasty, liposuction is an integral part of the operation.   Based on your pictures, you may be a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty, but I would advise you to get examined by a board certified plastic surgeon and get a second opinion.  Good luck!

Tae Ho Kim, MD

Worried Full Tummy Tuck or Mini Tummy Tuck ?

+2
Thanks for the question and pictures. Given your concerns, which I think are good ones, I would suggest that you spend additional time with your plastic surgeon. Make sure that both you and he/she are on the same page when it comes to an understanding of your goals. For example, make sure that your understanding of a “flat belly and less visible stretch marks” is the same as his/hers. This conversation is best carried out in front of a full-length mirror. Generally speaking, it is a rare patient who has had 3 children and ace C-section who do well with mini tummy tuck surgery.  Again, a careful communication of goals and expectations will be key. I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Worried Full TT or Mini TT ?

+1
   I would recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction. 

Los Angeles, CA....................

Worried about tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph.  I share your concern and confusion about what you have been told by your surgeon.

Liposuction is frequently done in combination with full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck.

Based on your photographs I do not see a lot of loose skin which raises the question as to whether a tummy tuck is necessary.  Mini tummy tuck's can be disappointing because skin around and above the belly button is not tightened and the belly button can be displaced lower.  Is very difficult to tell without an in person examination but you may be a candidate for liposuction alone.

I suggest that you have further conversations with your plastic surgeon or consider a second opinion before proceeding.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Worried Full TT or Mini TT ? (photos)

+1
Thank you for your question .
I do not see any medical reason why he will not give you liposuction with your tummy tuck . I include this in my tummy tucks. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote. Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Worried Full TT or Mini TT ?

+1
The better result is from a FULL TT vs a mini TT. in my over the internet opinion. Best to seek ONLY IN PERSON opinions... 

Second opinion

+1
Sounds like you need to get a second opinion before having something you are not sure of. Go see someone else.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

A mini abdominoplasty is a seldom indicated procedure.

+1
In my estimation you would be best served by full abdominoplasty. The redundancies of skin and laxity of the abdominal wall extend from the sternum to the pubic area.

Lipo with mini-tummy tuck

+1
Flank liposuction is frequently performed with abdominoplasty. With an exam, it is impossible to be definitive but if you hav bulging above the umbilicus, a mini tuck will not flatten you out adequately. I think it is important to have the correct operation for your situation and make sure that you didn't project an impression regarding the scar or coats that resulted in the surgical plan.  Liposuction can be performed at the same time as the abdominoplasty so long as the flaps aren't put at risk. You don't need a special name for this (my staff is constantly telling me to call everything a K procedure as others so this as a marketing tool, which explains why I went to medical and not business school!).  Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD