Is it important to do nasal massages after Rhinoplasty surgery? What is the right technique?

I'm having my rhinoplasty surgery on May 28. I'm just thinking of a list of questions for surgeon during my pre op appointment. One is nasal massages.

Massage after rhinoplasty

+2
Dear sunflowerslove,

Typically nasal massage is not indicated after rhinoplasty surgery because you want to let the area heal and settle, not apply added pressure to the nasal structure. However, I have heard of some surgeons recommending this, so it would be best to check with your operating surgeon during your pre operative appointment. Good luck!

Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Massaging the nose after rhinoplasty usually not needed.

+1
Typically nasal massage after rhinoplasty is not done.  The swelling will disappear on its own with time and patience.  The tissues like wise will soften with time.  Check with your surgeon to see if this is something they recommend.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Only if directed to do so

+1
You would only massage your nose if directed by your surgeon to do so.  Massage helps swelling come down over the bones and the sometimes the sides of the nose.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon