Pre-op: Would breast implants make me look heavier?

I'm 5'7 and weigh 165. I wear a size 34b bra. I don't want to look fatter if I had breast implants.

Looking fatter after breast implants

+2
Thank you for your question about looking fat with breast implants.

A lot depends on your hips. If you have slim hips, you are unlikely to look heavier.

A lot also depends on the implant size. Even if you are hiippy, you are moderately tall, somewhat overweight and have small breasts. If you have moderate sized implants (e.g. a 300 cc), you will not look heavier. Above 350, you may. That said - you may want larger implants and accept the trade-off. Best wishes.

Will a breast implant make a patient look heavier

+2
Depending upon your body proportions an implant can either improve body symmetry or make it worse.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to help you with this matter. 

Conservative, appropriately sized breast implants should not make you look factor

+2
I agree with others that breast implants in a large framed person can improve the symmetry and appearance of the body.

However very large breast implants can certainly make you look top-heavy and "fatter".

It is important that you see board certified plastic surgeon and undergo a breast implant sizing system evaluation.  During this examination specially shaped breast implants will be placed into a non-padded bra so that you may see how you will look with different sized breast implants.

Your choice will of course depend on your body in breast measurements and evaluation by your board certified plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Appearance after Breast Augmentation

+2
It would be helpful if you provided a photo. I have found that in patients with a wide frame and small breasts an augmentation can result in an appearance that is more balanced .I utilize computer imaging to illustrate the changes from surgery for the patients.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Do implants make me look fat?

+1
Dear Sunflower,
I think what you are asking is will you look heavier or overall larger with large implants.
I think this depends on what you are wearing. If you have very large implants and wear something that is not fitted at the waist, then the larger breast will make you look larger in general. However, if you are wearing a bikini or a fitted shirt that shows off your waist line, then no, it will actually look like your waistline is smaller since your chest/hip ratio is larger.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1
    In general, I have not found this to be an issue in making patients look larger.  The goal is to select an implant that improves overall balance.

Will breast implants make me look fat?

+1
It is all a matter of proportion. The implants should not be too large and make you appear heavier. You should be seeking balance between your hips and upper body.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Heavier look after breast augmentation

+1
While it is difficult to answer your question precisely without at least pictures, in general, a well-balanced breast augmentation procedure depending on your body dimensions especially your breast dimensions will give you a great shape without the look of being heavier.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS