Mass at Nasal Dorsum. Could It Be Possibly Related to Prior Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I've visited numerous doctors and have not been able to get a diagnosis for the mass that's been growing on my nasal dorsum since 03/12. None of these doctors (ENTs, internist, ophthalmologist, etc.) can seem to offer a solid explanation for this, but most of these doctors have stressed that they feel confident this mass is benign in nature. I hope so. This mass started growing after a sinus infection and I have had previous rhinoplasty. Could it be related to that? If not, then what? Thanks!

Growth after Rhinoplasty

+2

The CT scan should have provided information as to whether this a bony contingency or another type of mass.  Could this be a mucocele?  Possibly.  Could it be vascular?  Possibly.  Is it possible this is a skin lesion and should be evaluated by a dermatologist?  Possibly.  Those are just some ideas, but it is hard to evaluate without looking at the CT scan and examining you in person.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mass at Nasal Dorsum. Could It Be Possibly Related to Prior Rhinoplasty?

+1

It could be related or have nothing to do with either.  If you had your bones broken, this could be a residual piece of nasal bone that has moved outward.  In severe sinus infections, the infection can extend along the inside area of the eye socket creating bumps in this area.  I suggest you have an ENT Surgeon do a CT Scan to further the diagnosis.  

+1

You need an MRI to see if there is a cystic mass with connection to your sinus or even to the crank vault. Than a Cranial Plastic surgeon should evaluate you. 

Mass on nasal Dorsum

+1

This type of fullness after a rhinoplasty can represent several types of complications. The most common would be a displacement of bone after trying to narrow the nose. After this come the possibilities of a displaced cartilage graft, or swelling of the lining above the bone. If persistent you need to consult with your surgeon to investigate the cause and then address it.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon