Wanting a BBL but Petrified of General Anesthia. Will It Effect my Asthma? (photo)

I really want to get a BBL, but i am soooo afraid to be put under. Ive had asthma since birth and always thought i couldnt be put under because of it, is this true? What are the risk of an asthmatic patient getting a brazilian butt lift? Also how often do lipo patients get blood clots? I am terrified of getting a pulmonary embolism. Is there a way plastic surgeons can prevent blood clots? I was told there were some stockings that can be used during surgery or some kind of pump, is this true?

Brazilian Butt Lift, candidate, anesthesia, blood clots

+2

Very important issues to discuss in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Patients with asthma can have an increased incidence of bronchospasm from intubation for anesthesia which can lead to serious complications.

Patients undergoing general anesthesia for more than two hours should have sequential compressive devises in place during the procedure.

Patients with a high risk of leg blood clots should also receive perioperative blood thinners.

The Brazilian Butt Lift may be accomplished under I.V. sedation, toumescent and local anesthesia if too many areas are not to be suctioned.  This is well tolerated by many patients.

Scared of Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery

+1

You can definitely have this surgery done even though you have asthma.  Let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know about it prior to surgery so they can give you medicines to help with the asthma.  

Things that can be done to prevent pulmonary embolism include compression stockings, foot or calf pumps while asleep, blood thinning medication, and perhaps most importantly aggressive walking by the patient immediately the night of surgery and during the recovery phase.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Brazilian Butt Lift - Anesthesia

+1

BBL can be performed under either general anesthesia or local anesthesia.

It is best to discuss these options with your surgeon.  Local anesthesia has reduced risks of blood clots and pulmonary embolis.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Worries of Asthma Flare and Blood Clots with Brazilian Buttlift

+1

In general, asthma should be controlled with medications, and your last attack should have been months prior to surgery.  Even if a surgery such as this could be performed with sedation, there may become a need to intubate at some point, and no symptomatic asthmatic patient should be subjected to that. 

With regard to blood clots and pulmonary emboli, the rate is far less than 1 in 1000.   In addition, sequential compression devices are placed upon every general anesthesia patient to improve circulation during surgery.  Risk factors for this are minimized prior to surgery as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Brazilian Butt Lift

+1

The decision to proceed with any surgery depend on the general health of the patiuring the general anethesia medications for asthma can be given ent, and the risk evaluation for you specifically.

With histor of asthma, you will need a full control of the asthma and full evaluation by a pulmonary doctor. During general anesthesia medications can be given to control asthma.

As for blood clots, or pulmonary emboli. Any surgery carry a certain risk of deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary emboli. The risk depend on your history and family history and your risk factorsas measured by the Caprini scale.

Prevetion include

1: use of compression stocking during surgery

2: early ambulation

3; Use of blood thinners after surgery