Are Spray Tans or Self Tanning Lotions Safe to Use on Tummy Tuck Scars?

I'm 32 years old and trying to take better care of my skin. I'm planning to really limit sun worshipping this summer. My tummy tucks scars will only be 6-7 months old this summer. But I still want to have that sun-kissed look. Will fake tans be okay on my scars or could they affect them in a negative way?

Tanning lotion

+2

These lotions should have no effect on your scars. I would make sure the scars are covered at all times

Tummy tuck scar

+2

Although artificial tanners are safe, it is hard to say if it will make the scar look better. It may accumulate in the scar and actually make it more obvious. Try it and see, since  it will wash off in a few days. Your have nothing to lose by trying. Remember there is no suncreen in artificial tanners, so she need to use one also.

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Spray tans are a safe way to "tan"

+2

Spray tans are a safe way to "tan" your skin. Most of them use something called dihydroxyacetone which actually provides a very small SPF to the spray tanned skin. Keeping your scar out of the sun and sunburning will not only help it continue to improve in appearance but will also help reduce your risk for skin cancer if you are fair skinned.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Use of spray tanning agents on tummy tuck scars

+2

At 6 to 7 months post tummy tuck it should be safe to apply a spray tanning agent or tanning lotion to the tummy tuck scar.  As with any topical agent if you note a rash or irritation with the product, it may be a sign of a contact allergy.  If this occurs, stop the agent and check with your doctor.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon