Any African American Rhinoplasty Expert in Maryland?

A lot of people told me I don't need surgery and that I am fine the way I am. I just don't know what to do. I just don't know where to go to find someone that does ethnic/black noses. Does anyone have any suggestions for the Maryland area that has a better expertise in doing surgery?

African American Rhinoplasty Expert in Maryland

+1

The ASPS website is a good starting point for qualified board certified plastic surgeons in your area. Dr. William Crawley and Dr. Ariel Rad are two possibilities in Baltimore. Consult with 2 - 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

African-American Rhinoplasty

+1

Keisha:

You are very smart doing your homework before making a decision about your surgery. African-American rhinoplasties are very challenging because of the thick skin and weak cartilages with poor projection and definition. Ira Papel M.D., located in Baltimore, is an excellent surgeon experienced in ethnic rhinoplasty.

African American rhinoplasty

+1

Performing rhinoplasty on African-American individuals is a common procedure in New York. I see alot of patients of verying ethnicity because of the variety of people that make New York their home. Because the skin is often thicker than other patients, it sometimes more difficult to refine the tip. Many patients also need augmentation of the dorsum which can easily be done with various grafting material.

Maryland African American Rhinoplasty Specialist Recommendation

+1

Hi Keisha,

Ira Papel, MD is an excellent rhinoplasty surgeon and is well versed in African American rhinoplasty.  He is located in Baltimore.

Good luck and be well. 

Dr P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty in African Americans is a difficult procedure

+1

All rhinoplasty procedures are difficult but a rhinoplasty or nasal reshaping in an African-American is even more challenging as the skin is often thicker and the underlying cartilages are smaller. Therefore, it requires the surgeon to do more like performing nasal augmentation of the tip and dorsum as well as reduction of the alar bases as a routine. This is much more challenging but also rewarding if the rhinoplasty surgeon is both diligent in his pre op analysis of the problem and can properly execute the operation using an open approach. It is very important for your surgeon to have both experience and expertise in this type of rhinoplasty as well.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD