12 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck; Will I Need a Revision? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck 12 weeks ago and I am not very happy with my belly button. It is hyper pigmented and the scar is very visible. Will I need a revision and can it be corrected to look normal? Also can it be done with a local?

12 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck; Will I Need a Revision?

+1

The scar is a bit "hypertrophic" at this time, but this is likely to improve even if untreated. you might speak with your surgeon about Kenalog injections, or scar creams.

Allow for a year for the scar to mature, and only then should you be thinking about scar revision. The tendency for scar hypertrophy has more to do with your genetics than the surgeon's technique. Scars can get worse or not improve with revision, even though the goal is improvement. 

All the best. 

You probably won't need a revision even if the scar does not look good at three months.

+1

The picture demonstrates a wound still actively healing. Most of the time the final aesthetic product a satisfactory. I don't think you have much to worry about.

+1

3 months (12 weeks) NOT enough scar maturation time. Plus the risk of re incising could worsen the result. Allow 9 months healing. 

Scar in belly button

+1

There is no reason to be unhappy with your belly button, at this juncture. I feel for you and I see why you don't like the redness and raised quality of the scar, but scaring is a function of your body not your surgeon's skill. Scars that look great at this stage often look worse with time, while scars that are red and angry often are flat and white with time. Hang in there, and talk to your plastic surgeon after six months-at least-have gone by the surgery.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Belly button issues

+1

It looks mostly like you've got some hypertrophic scar there.  In addition to scar massage, and use of a silicone-based scar products, I'd consider some Kenalog injections to the scar, to see if those will make it flatter.  Fortunately, 3 months post-op is still very early in the recovery process, and you can expect some scar improvement with time, especially if you do your part.  It's too early to tell whether or not any surgical revision would be useful.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Belly Button Scar

+1

Thank you for the pictures. You certainly have a hypertrophic scar around your belly button. Just probably due to tension on that incision. It has been three months which is appropriate time to wait but I will still continue to wait further. I will give it a promptly nine months before I would consider anything. Revision can be done in the office with local. Follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Umbilical scar

+1

I believe it is too early to make that decision. I would recommend you use silicone scar gel and consider non ablative treatments for the scar.  It takes time sometimes for that scar to heal. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scars after tummy tuck can be revised.

+1

Hi.

You definitely have thick scars, and these will not get better with time.  I would wait another three months and then consider revision with Kenalog injections.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Too early to judge umbilical scar result

+1

Too early to judge your umbilical result.  Continue with massage and then re-evaluate at 6 to 12 months post op. 

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. At this point, I think you will be best off continuing to exercise patience. Evaluate the  appearance of the umbilicus approximately one year after the procedure was performed. You may find, at that point, that the scarring/pigment changes will be significantly improved.

I think, you will be best off avoiding revisionary surgery at this point.