2.5 months post op, Pimple-like Bump on Columella by Incision for Open Rhinoplasty?

I had an open rhinoplasty (& septo) 2.5 months ago. About a week ago a pimple-like bump appeared on the columella. I saw that this question has been asked before, so I know that it's recommended that I see my plastic surgeon. My only question is whether I have to see a plastic surgeon, or can I see a dermatologist, or even a general practitioner? I'm at school far away from the surgeon who operated on my nose, and since she messed up on it, I would rather not see her anyways. Thanks,

Bump on nose

+1

Dear nosebreather25,

• Asking your plastic surgeon's office for a recommendation near you is a great idea
  • It is likely nothing, either a suture or a little skin cyst that formed while healing
  • It is best to have an ENT, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon take a look

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Simple Solution

+1

You should make every effort to see your own Plastic Surgeon as this is probably just a suture that is surfacing and not anything significant...it probably needs to be cut out and then the columellar tissue above it allowed to heal.  If you can't get to your surgeon, if you find a surgeon closer to you they may want to communicate with your original surgeon before they treat you, but I'm sure they'll work together to help you out...

Eric Sadeh, MD

Pimple like bump after rhinoplasty, perhaps a retained suture

+1
The simple cause and most likely is a retained suture, and if it can be seen and felt your primary might be able to help with it. If it can't be seen, a plastic surgeon in your area might have to help. Dermatology is not top of mind concerning rhinoplasty, or sutures.

You should consult a reputable rhinoplasty specialist to help you with the bump on your columella after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

Feel free to re ask your query with a photo. You may also benefit from getting a copy of your operative report as well. My concern is that your columella bump could be an extruding suture, and it might be helpful for you and your doctor to know what type of sutures were used in your nose. You should get care as soon as possible to improve the chances of a favorable outcome.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon