Tummy Tuck with Lipo scheduled in 5 weeks - Scared out of my mind?

I have been overly obsessing about procedure reading reviews about skin necrosis, infections and bloods has me scared out of my mind. I am 29 with no serious medical conditions, I don't currently smoke haven't in a while (hookah to be specific and some exposure to second hand smoke). Its is normal to feel this up tight. Ive considered not going through even though I have paid deposit. Any advice to help me get through. What are my chances of encountering skin necrosis complications?

Anxiety before big procedures

+1

is quite normal. Talk to your surgeon to get what reassurances you need to make you feel comfortable to go through with this and ask your surgeon what the rate of skin necrosis is. In most practices, it should be less then 5%. But technique does matter so clarify what technique will be used in your case. And if still anxious, see if your surgeon will allow you to postpone your procedure until you are more mentally ready.

+1

The occurrence of skin necrosis in my practice is virtually nonexistent.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Anxiety

+1

having anxiety before surgery is normal. Try and eat a healthy diet and avoid any second hand smoke. Try and focus on the positives--a tt will really change your body for the better and your perception of yourself. It's scary, but its a technically simple procedure with relatively low complication rates. Hang in there!

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck jitters

+1

Perfectly normal to have some anxiety as your surgical date approaches. Be sure to avoid any second hand smoke exposure as this can lead to necrosis. Necrosis of the flaps themselves is very uncommon. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Upcoming Tummy Tuck with Lipo

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

It is completely common to feel some level of anxiety before an upcoming procedure. I would recommend that you speak to your plastic surgeon regarding the potential risk to you of having complications as only he/she knows your full medical history at this point.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Pre-op anxiety

+1

It is normal to be nervous about surgery---a tummy tuck is a major operation, not an esthetic treatment. However, if your anxiety reaches a level that is untenable, then perhaps you should consider postponement. I recommend that you see your plastic surgeon for a re-consultation to discuss the specific issues. The odds of a true necrosis are very low but still cannot be dismissed offhand.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Anxious about Tummy Tuck complications

+1

It is natural to be anxious about your tummy tuck surgery. Your risk profile for complications is very low. It is best you speak to your PS and if necessary have another consult. You may need to take some medications to calm your anxiety if things escalate. All the best.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Preop jitters

+1

It is normal to experience these concerns. Sometimes too much information on the Internet is not helpful! The best source of information about this is your plastic surgeon. I suggest scheduling a preop visit to address these concerns.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety before tummy tuck

+1

congratulations in your upcoming surgery. It is very normal to have a degree of anxiety before the surgical procedure and very commonly seen. In a young healthy individuals such as yourself, the chances of having skin necrosis after an abdominoplasty is incredibly low. I would recommend eliminating the chances of secondhand smoke in addition as well. There's a specific type of an abdominal plasty called a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty which further minimizes the chances of skin necrosis by preserving the blood a supply to the abdominal wall flaps doing the procedure. Please discuss this with option with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck complications

+1

In a non smoker, healthy woman of your age, skin necrosis would be unusual. I would suggest you sit down again with your plastic surgeon so that they may make you feel less anxiety over the procedure. Plastic surgeons who perform the procedure regularly should have minimal skin necrosis issues. The anxiety you feel is normal, and most people have it before procedures.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon