Large Bump on Bridge After Rhinoplasty. Dr. Says It's Bone. What Should I Do? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty 2 months ago. 1st surgery. An ever-so slight dorsal hump was removed (osteotomies and bone rasped)& deviated septum was corrected. Now I have a new & more significant bump on the upper 1/3 & lateral aspect of my nose, which is most noticeable from oblique view. I didn’t have this before. Dr. says that it’s bone and won’t change on it’s own. Can it be treated without osteotomies? How long must I wait to have it treated? How should I talk to my Dr about correcting this? THANKS!!!

Bump on nose post-rhinoplasty

+2

It may be a bit too early to definitively say if it is bone or just scar tissue. Two months is not long enough to wait for scar remodeling. Talk to your doctor about scar massage, pressure therapy and possible steroid treatment. I would recommend waiting at least one year before going back in and performing more surgery, as further osteotomies or rasping. If it is bone, after the tissues have matured, rasping alone may be enough to treat this. 

Best of luck to you,

Dr. A

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

Rasping and osteotomies can cause mild inflammation along the bone. I would wait at least 6 months. I have seen bone go down on the past.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large bump on bridge after rhinoplasty, what to do

+1
Your doctor said that it is bone and will not go away on its own and we agree. Two months after, he could go back and shape it down though it is early. Waiting six to ten months more, is the standard recommendation, though let your surgeon have a look, and see how firm the bone is and how soft the skin has become.

Bump on nose 2 months post op rhinoplasty.

+1

It is too soon to make any decision about your nose.  It takes 6-12 months for the swelling to go down. 

Nasal Bump After #Rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos, it appears that you do have a more significant bump after the procedure. However, 2 months from a rhinoplasty is far too soon to formally judge your results. This is something that could need a revision, but there will be continued changes over the course of the year. I would see an experienced nasal surgeon to get a better idea of your options once the swelling has resolved. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD