Considering explant. What kind of results have you seen? (Photo)

Hello, I am a 46 year old woman and I have had implants for 12 years. At 10 years I had my 350 cc silicone implants taken out and replaced with 250 cc over the muscle silicone implants. After a year the right one is harder again and I am considering explanting. My body is changing and though I am in good shape, I feel top heavy (the implants do not look smaller at all) and am tired of it. I have scars from the benelli lift and my breasts have lost somee sensitivity. How have your explant results been?

Removing breast implants and making the breasts appear aesthetically pleasing

+1
I have removed many breast implants, but in order to achieve a nice look to the breasts you may need a lift.  Also, fat grafting may also be helpful to correct any breast distortions.  From your photo it appears as though you may have some capsular contracture.  If that's the case, Strattice is excellent at helping to prevent that scar tissue formation with revision of your breast implants.

Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber

Considering explant. What kind of results have you seen?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although, generally not possible to give good advice without physical examination I think in your case you will be best served with removal of implants WITHOUT  mastopexy surgery.   This approach will give your tissues the "benefit of the doubt”  allowing the  breast skin to contract back and avoid additional scarring. If the skin contraction is not adequate (and loose skin remains) then mastopexy plus/minus breast re augmentation surgery can be performed at a later date. 

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

+1
If you decide to have your implants removed,  heal from that surgery and see how you feel.  You can always have another breast augmentation later if you are unhappy with the volume. Breast lift corrects the shape of your breast, and can be done if needed, anytime.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Explantation? Removal of breast implants.

+1
Hi there,

The results of explantation depend upon how much breast tissue you have.

Here's a brief story of my initial explantation experience.  As an Australian plastic surgeon, I undertook a Fellowship year in the USA in 1994 - the year of the silicon gel safety fear crisis.  We explanted many patients that year, and implanted none, which was a slightly weird experience.

Most of the patients were terrified at how their breasts were going to look, and the vast majority were amazed at how good they looked.  Typically, they had had implants put in when they were thin and either after their pregnancies when their breasts were very empty, or as young women.
Most of them at the time of explantation, many years later, had gained a bit of weight and some breast tissue.

In your case, the downsizing without volume loss probably means you have more breast tissue.

Some technical advice:  When you're explanted, ask the surgeon to do an anterior capsulectomy at the time.  Post operatively, spend a month in a compression bra (firm but not too tight) which holds your breast in an elevated and perky shape, with as much symmetry as you can achieve.  This will "rearrange" the tissue optimally.  

Your breasts will be a lot smaller, and very soft, but if things go well you may well have an acceptable shape.

In the long run, you can have small implants put back in if the breasts end up too small, so nothing in your decision is irreversible.

All the very best.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Explantation

+1
Thank you for your question and photos.  Explantations have become an increasingly popular surgery for many women.  If performed correctly this surgery can be very rewarding for patients.  Obviously the breasts will be smaller so if you are psychologically prepared for smaller breasts then this can be a great procedure for you.  I would encourage you to seek an in office consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs a lot of breast reconstruction and explantations.  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast Implant explant

+1
Explanting the breast implant with capsulectomy, may result in drooping of the breast. This is likely since you had needed a breast lift when the implants were put in.
Your options would be to remove the implant with capsulectomy and wait and see how the breast looks, if you need a lift that can be done at a later stage. Or plan on removal of the implant with capsulectomy and immediate breast lift.
Samir Shureih MD. FACS
sshureih@msn.com