Closed Mouth Sneezes on Day 6 After Rhinoplasty - Nostrils Completely Sealed with Blood + Packing but Have Cast on?

I think I was able to get most of my question in the heading. I understand that internal bleeding (which I am unable tell if occurring because the nostrils are completely sealed) and increased swellings are potential negative results. I am far more concerned with the potential that sneezing with a closed mouth and with nostrils completely sealed will have on my results. I will ask my dr. this when I see him tomorrow but in the meantime and hoping for some compassionate and honest replies. Thanks

Unlikely to do damage with sneezing

+1

Thank you for the question.  Sneezing, vomiting, coughing, etc are all involuntary actions and although the may feel weird right after your nose surgery they rarely hurt anything.  Do your best for now by sneezing through your mouth since it will be more comfortable and have your plastic surgeons office help unplug you at your follow up.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://drrepta.com

+1

Dear Nosebreather,

Thank you for your question.  In general, try to sneeze through you mouth.  I know that isn't your concern now, but in the future.  While it is unlikely to permanently damage your results, the nasal lining is still healing and can be disrupted and cause a re-bleed.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sneezing and rhinoplasty result

+1

Sneezing will not likely impact your rhinoplasty result.  It is best to follow up with your surgeon if you have any concerns.

Post operative bleeding after a rhinoplasty

+1

If you no longer have any blood dripping from your nose or down the back of your throat and your nasal size is not expanding then you are most likely okay.   But it is important that your surgeon is aware of the problem and you see him as soon as possible to avoid complications. 

Post rhinoplasty

+1

If you do not have active bleeding from the nostrils or oral cavity; it probably has clotted.  Open your mouth when you sneeze.  See your surgeon as planned.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.