5'10, Happy with my Weight, Can I Get a Tummy Tuck at 235 Pounds? (photo)

Hi, I am a 23 year old DPT student and considering having a tummy tuck. I used to be about 270 pounds and got the lap band surgery in 2007 and lost 100 lbs. After starting school and having the added stress(and less time to cook or workout) of being in a doctoral program, I have gained a considerable amount of the weight back. I am happy with the size I am now but I am not happy with my stomach area. Even when I had lost weight initially I STILL had a big stomach. I am 5'9 if that helps.

5'10" 235 lbs Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would tend to agree that patients with a greater BMI tend to have more complications, and I would recommend additional weight loss if possible.

TT?? 5'10" 235 pounds

+1

At your current weight, your BMI (body-mass index) is 33.7. 

As a general rule, it is safer and the outcome better when a patients BMI is under 30 (would need to be about 210 pounds), 

But looking at your photos, if you really expect to stay at your current weight, I think it would not be unreasonable to proceed. But do consider a modification of the fill of your band to try to get down toward 210. The procedure will have less risk, and the overall outcome will be better. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

5'10, Happy with my Weight, Can I Get a Tummy Tuck at 235 Pounds?

+1

Much easier on your recovery if you lose 20 to 40 pounds prior to having a TT surgery. Seek in person opinions. 

Weight Gain/Loss and Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and entrance into a doctoral program.  When considering body contouring surgery it is recommended that your weight remain stable.  Fluctuations of 5-10 lbs can be tolerated but dramatic swings in weight do not make one a good candidate.  Your current BMI is 33.7 and it is recommended that a good candidate will have a BMI of 30 or less.  Our surgical studies have shown that if a patient has a BMI over 30 it increases a patient's surgical complication rate especially concerning wound healing and/ fluid collections.  A weight reduction to 215 would place your BMI at 30.8.  Consider this the next step toward your tummy tuck.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tuck at 235

+1

Now would be a bad time to get a tummy tuck as you are gaining weight. You are not gaining muscle but gaining fat. When you get operated on you will lose even more muscle mass which would be bad, so I would stabilize your weight with diet and exercise and then consider the surgery.  You have gained back 65 pounds of what you lost,  this dose not bode well of your future weight gain and surgery will make that weight gain more likely. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1

After reviewing your photos I think you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  It is best to try to get close to your ideal body weight prior to your surgery but I think you have a clear understanding of what you desire in this surgery.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided it appears that you a candidate for a tummy tuck.  If you are comfortable at your current weight and do not plan on losing a significant amount of weight, then you should do fine.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Can a tummy tuck benefit someone who is not their ideal weight?

+1

Absolutely!  You would benefit greatly by a tummy tuck even though you are not at your ideal weight.  You body contours will be gain quite a bit in attractiveness as well as reduce skin on skin contact and sweating, possible rashes, etc.  Your surgeon may recommend a little liposuction to the hips and thighs at the same time to give you an overall great result.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at 235 pounds?

+1

The best situation is to be as close to your ideal body weight as possible before undergoing body contouring procedures. However I see patients who are overweight and have disproportionate accumulations of fat and frequently loose skin as well - which is what you appear to have going on. Based upon your photos and assuming you are in good health I think you would be able to find a qualified surgeon who would be comfortable performing a Tummy Tuck on you. See a few surgeons in consultation and see what they have to say. Personally I think you would be happy with a much flatter abdomen and the Tummy Tuck would offer you that option relatively easily. Best of Luck   Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Tummy Tuck and Weight Concerns?

+1

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures. Congratulations on your significant weight loss.  Based on your  history and pictures,  at some point you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

Although I am unable to provide you with  specific advice without in-person consultation, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

I ask patients to achieve their long-term stable weight before undergoing any type of body contouring surgery. I generally do not ask patients to achieve a specific weight;  rather I asked that they achieve a weight where they feel “comfortable” for the long-term. In other words, my hope is that patients do not experience significant weight fluctuation after undergoing the body contouring procedure.

Achieving the patient's long-term stable weight will increase the safety of the procedure and  decrease the chances that revisionary surgery will be necessary ( if he/she loses weight after having had the operation performed).

Obviously, every patient's situation is different and the weight at which they feel comfortable may differ significantly.