5'10, Happy with my Weight, Can I Get a Tummy Tuck at 235 Pounds? (photo)

Hi, I am a 23 year old DPT student and considering having a tummy tuck. I used to be about 270 pounds and got the lap band surgery in 2007 and lost 100 lbs. After starting school and having the added stress(and less time to cook or workout) of being in a doctoral program, I have gained a considerable amount of the weight back. I am happy with the size I am now but I am not happy with my stomach area. Even when I had lost weight initially I STILL had a big stomach. I am 5'9 if that helps.

5'10" 235 lbs Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would tend to agree that patients with a greater BMI tend to have more complications, and I would recommend additional weight loss if possible.

When is it appropriate for a tummy tuck?

+1

In my opinion, when you are at a weight that you can maintain from your current lifestyle.  That being said, you do need an exam to ensure you do not have some underlying anatomical deficiencies such as a hernia.  And a good idea as to what result you will have is simulated when you lay down flat.   As long as you are willing to accept the risks and limitations of the procedure, you should be able to find a doctor who can do this for you. 

Appropriateness of a tummy tuck at greater than ideal body weight

+1

An examination would need to be performed in order to determine whether a tummy tuck or something more extensive would be the most appropriate procedure for you. With that said, it would be to your advantageous if you could (re)lose some additional weight prior to surgery. Though you are over your ideal body weight and are at a higher risk for untoward issues, you still could benefit from and undergo surgery. Lower weight = lower risks and better results.

You decide!

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

TT?? 5'10" 235 pounds

+1

At your current weight, your BMI (body-mass index) is 33.7. 

As a general rule, it is safer and the outcome better when a patients BMI is under 30 (would need to be about 210 pounds), 

But looking at your photos, if you really expect to stay at your current weight, I think it would not be unreasonable to proceed. But do consider a modification of the fill of your band to try to get down toward 210. The procedure will have less risk, and the overall outcome will be better. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

5'10, Happy with my Weight, Can I Get a Tummy Tuck at 235 Pounds?

+1

Much easier on your recovery if you lose 20 to 40 pounds prior to having a TT surgery. Seek in person opinions. 

Weight Gain/Loss and Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and entrance into a doctoral program.  When considering body contouring surgery it is recommended that your weight remain stable.  Fluctuations of 5-10 lbs can be tolerated but dramatic swings in weight do not make one a good candidate.  Your current BMI is 33.7 and it is recommended that a good candidate will have a BMI of 30 or less.  Our surgical studies have shown that if a patient has a BMI over 30 it increases a patient's surgical complication rate especially concerning wound healing and/ fluid collections.  A weight reduction to 215 would place your BMI at 30.8.  Consider this the next step toward your tummy tuck.

Dr. ES

Tummy Tuck at 235

+1

Now would be a bad time to get a tummy tuck as you are gaining weight. You are not gaining muscle but gaining fat. When you get operated on you will lose even more muscle mass which would be bad, so I would stabilize your weight with diet and exercise and then consider the surgery.  You have gained back 65 pounds of what you lost,  this dose not bode well of your future weight gain and surgery will make that weight gain more likely. 

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1

After reviewing your photos I think you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  It is best to try to get close to your ideal body weight prior to your surgery but I think you have a clear understanding of what you desire in this surgery.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Based on the photos you provided it appears that you a candidate for a tummy tuck.  If you are comfortable at your current weight and do not plan on losing a significant amount of weight, then you should do fine.

Akron Plastic Surgeon

Can a tummy tuck benefit someone who is not their ideal weight?

+1

Absolutely!  You would benefit greatly by a tummy tuck even though you are not at your ideal weight.  You body contours will be gain quite a bit in attractiveness as well as reduce skin on skin contact and sweating, possible rashes, etc.  Your surgeon may recommend a little liposuction to the hips and thighs at the same time to give you an overall great result.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.