Do You Think I Need a Mini or Full Tummy Tuck and Do You Think my Tattoo Can Be Removed Along with It? (photo)

I am 25 years old, 5'1 130lbs. I have had 3 pregnancies. Kids ages are 8, 5 and 5 months. I have had the pouch/extra skin since I've had my oldest daughter 8 years ago. I'm planning on having a tummy tuck in the next few months. I just would like a couple different opinions. I would also like your opinion if you think my body shape would have good results after the procedure. My tattoo is under the black oval. Thanks :)

Full or mini TT?

+2

A full tummy tuck is the best option for you! I wouldn't be able to tell if all the tattoo will be gone, but most of it for sure! Tightening your muscles is a MUST, after 3 kids your muscles divide. 

Mini Versus Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float,  or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome. It is unlikely that all of your tattoo would be removed without extending and placing your incision excessively high on the side. A portion would be removed and the rest can be treated with a laser.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this  or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini Vs Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. You are a candidate for a full tummy tuck operation.  Depending on the design of the tummy tuck “excision”, some but not all, of the tattoo will likely be removed at the time of tummy tuck surgery.

The mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Thank you for your picture. Probably a full tummy tuck would be the best procedure for you. It is unlikely your tattoo would be removed from your tummy tuck procedure. Remember always see consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Dr. ES.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Full tuck only

+2

Thanks for your photos... but with your tummy protrusion extending up to the top of your belly, only a full tummy tuck will give you a chance at having the best contours.  As for the tattoo, if you did not mind your scar going HIGH on the left, you could have it excised but the scar will be permanent.  Laser removal may be a better option for you either before or after your procedure.

Curtis Wong, MD

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for your post. Definitely a full tummy tuck is your best option.  Someof the tattoo will be removed, but not all of it.

PAblo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck & tattoo

+2

You are best served to have a full tummy tuck because of the amount of skin laxity.  A mini is basically liposuction with a small amount of skin excision.  Most scars, stretch marks, moles, & tattoos that lie below a line drawn across the top of the belly-button can be removed.  Most of yours, but maybe not all, can be removed.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Mini versus Standard TT

+2

Without question you need a full abdominoplasty.  You have protuberance that starts high in you abdomen as well as laxity above your umbilicus.  Some, but by no means all, of your tattoo will be removed.  You might look into having the remainder removed with a laser.  Depending on the colors it may leave a "shadow" of hypopigmentation, but it's worth checking it out.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Mini-Tummy Tuck Compared to Full Tummy Tuck

+2
If the fullness and loose skin is above and below the belly button then a full Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is needed. From your photos this looks to be the case. It is a small subset of people who will get a great result from mini tummy tuck, and your surgeon will guide you if you are a good candidate or not.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Full or mini tummy tuck.

+2

Mini vs full tuck is determined  by the state of your muscle wall. With mini or full, the width of the incision will be the same. the   umbilical work  would be similar as well. Without a hands on exam I couldn't say for sure which I would  recommend. You might even be a candidate for an excision of redundant skin and fat only. What's necessary is the hands on examination , and then a discussion of your options, followed by your making a decision as regards the surgery that would best fit your needs. Your photo suggests that your outcome would be  very good.

James R. Benjamin, MD
Bowie Plastic Surgeon