After Revision Rhinoplasty, my Dr. Says I Have a "Growth," Connecting my Nose to my Cheek?

It's above my nostril like a little bridge -- I dislike it very much -- and when I smile, it looks very odd, although he placed ear cartilage to fill the dent that resulted after the revision rhinoplasty. I asked to have the cartilage removed, as it looks obvious. What could have caused this growth and can it be removed? It looks like a white bump about 1/4 inch round or so that connects to my nose. It's hard to explain, but has anyone heard of anything like this? I have fair skin.

Growth in Area of Previous Cartilage Graft

+1

The growth in an area of a previous cartilage graft is likely scar tissue that surrounded the cartilage.

Scar after Rhinoplasty

+1

As others mentioned a photo would be best to get a better idea of what you are referring to.  Scar tissue, stitch reaction, extruded cartilage or sebaceous cyst are all possible options to name just a few.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Growth" on nose following revision rhinoplasty.

+1

Without photos or better yet, a physcial examination, it is not possible to say for sure what your surgeon is referring to as a "growth", really is.  It can be one of several possibilities including a protruding cartilage graft, a skin tumor or scar.  I would ask your surgeon to be more specific and see what he can do about it.  A second opinion would also be a good idea at this point.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Growth on Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Please send pictures so we can tell exactly where the growth is and what it looks like. I'm sure it is hard to explain and describe.