Is this a keloid scar after a tummy tuck? (photos)

I am six weeks post op today from my tummy tuck. My belly button doesn't look right to me. It is raised and thicker in some areas. Thank you in advance.

Keloid scar after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for sharing your concern and photo. This scar is not a keloid, however, it does appear to be slightly hypertrophic. I would recommend scar massage, scar cream such as Biocorneum and consider steroid injection to help minimize the appearance of the scar. Follow up with your plastic surgeon in order to discuss options for scar reduction. Good luck!

A remodeling scar is not a keloid.

+1
All scars go through a remodeling phase that involve some redness and thickness. This is not a keloid.

Is this a keloid scar after a tummy tuck?

+1
NO! Appears as a mild hypertrophic scar area around the umbilicus... Best to allow your surgeon to see and recommend therapy... 

Keloid scar around Belly Button

+1
This does not appear to be a keloid.  All scars will get thick and red over the first several weeks.  This will resolve over months to sometimes years.  Scar massage helps.  Sometimes on straight scars, silicone strips will quicken the healing time.  

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Looks like a healing scar

+1
This is not a keloid and looks like a relatively normal healing scar.  All scars a red initially and over time the color fades and the scar becomes less visible.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar after tummy tuck

+1
The red scar you show is normal for 6 weeks after a tummy tuck, it takes 6 months or longer for a scar to remodel. When the scar matures, the red fades and the scar is less hard. Check with your plastic surgeon for scar care  recommendations.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Keloid

+1
From the photo without an examination you do not appear to have a keloid and it would be early to be forming one.  I would go back to my surgeon for recommendations on scar care

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Early scar

+1
This is normal at this stage- not a keloid. Most scars look thin for 4 weeks then thicken and get red as the collagen and blood vessels continue to infiltrate it. Many surgeons recommend scar gels with silicone or other ingredients to reduce this appearance. It may takes months to decrease. Usually by a year it is a more whitish color and flatter.  I would discuss this with your surgeon. Everyone follows a different protocol.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Unfavorable Scarring

+1
Thank you for your picture. This is the hypertrophic scar. Scars think raising red. The retina should resolve in several months. They missed can be treated with small amounts of steroid injection and silicone bandages.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS