Capsular contracture revision expectations? (Photo)

5’5”, 150 lbs, 38”ribcage, 63yrs old, no preg. 1979- FIRST IMPLANTS Dow silicone 185cc Sub-gland 1990 REVISION #1 Grade IV Bi-lateral,Left shell gone,silicone held by capsule scar. Replaced /w Replicon 385cc,silicone,round,sub-gland. 2/20/14 REVISION #2 Removed intact Replicon&capsules,Replaced /w Mentor 400cc,smooth,round,silicone,HighProfile,sub-gland. Left flat,right round Massaging >2/28/14 WHAT CAN I DO? Last revision,have to live /w it What is reasonable to expect? THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP
Pictures at Kiwi6 20 DAYS POST-OP, URGENT? One flat, one round? Massaging.

Too early to need to anything beside messaging

+2
You need to give time and see what will happen. You had multiple surgeries and but the last pair lasted from 14 years. If you develop capsular contracture again, the other option is implant removal and fat grafting. You can check my site for examles.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+2
The incidence of capsular contracture is less behind the muscle then in front.  The use of an ADM also decreases the incidence of contracture.  In my practice both would be my recommendation

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Options with multiple capsular contractures

+2
In the occasional patient with a history of multiple capsular contractures, age 63, there are several choices. First, please understand that your history indicates that your body doesn't like breast implants. So, the first choice is just to get them out and be done. Beyond that, total capsulectomy and implant replacement can be done, and a submuscular conversion might have been in order since you have failed above the muscle twice already. Some also advocate using ADM like Strattice but this is probably still anecdotal in minimizing CC.

At only 2 weeks postop now, you can't have made a new CC so you are probably seeing the distortion of the tissues from years of scar and multiple surgeries. Ask your doctor, they did the surgery and know your case inside and out.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

+2
If I am reading your post correctly, you had surgery on 2-20-2014? If that is the case then what I think you are seeing is that your left breast is naturally more hallow at the top than the right. You can't form a new capsule in 3 weeks.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Revision for capsular contracture

+2
Thanks for sharing your photos

This will be a case where an in person exam is very helpful.  It is important to know how thick your remaining breast tissue is for the purpose of planning.  The left side is clearly more distorted and I assume that implant may be ruptured.  In cases like this there is some value to staging your surgery and removing all capsule and implant material and waiting for 3 months before replacing implants.  Visit a board certified plastic surgeon with experience and interest in revision breast surgery.

Best Wishes

Steven Camp, MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Cap con

+1
It is important to allow the tissues to settle after having this much surgery, I know its hard but wait and than consider something more permanent like implant removal

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Your history is typical

+1
for having had implants and a procedure about every 10 years to fix something.  But at this point, trust your surgeon whom you chose to help you through this journey.  There are more things that can be done for contractures but without a face to face, its difficult to comment here.  You are not yet at the end of your rope.

Curtis Wong, MD