Marfans Syndrome, AVR, and Descending Aortic Dissection?

2yrs ago I had open heart surgery due to 2 aortic dissections, one ascending, one descending. the ascending was replaced w mechanical valve and I am now on warfarin. The descending they didnt fix because it had "clotted" off creating a false lumen allowing blood to flow thru. they are controlling that with blood pressure meds. In 2 yrs it hasn't grown at all. I realize life is more important here, but quality of life has meaning to, and I am in need of a tummy tuck. Is there any chance?

Marfan Syndrome and Tummy Tuck

+2

If you are considering this, you should definitely get the perspective of your cardiothoracic surgeons.  If this were to be attempted, this should probably be done in the hospital setting after you are optimized for surgery and all of the coagulation protocols have been planned for before, during, and after surgery.  Then, you should probably be under close observation for a few days following surgery.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA 

Marfans Syndrome,

+2

This won't be resolved online!

The issues in any decision for surgery involves evaluation of benefits and risks. Wound healing itself is generally felt to be normal. The risks are elevated because of the issues of anticoagulation, with risks of loss of protection from the results of clots during the surgical period when the anti-coagulation will be suspended, and then risks of bleeding during the post-op period when anticoagulation is restored. 

Patients who have Marfan's Syndrome not-infrequently undergo surgery for their hearts and great vessels (as have you),  for orthopedic issues including major spine surgery, for chest wall issues, and for lens problems. 

If you are interested in pursuing a tummy tuck I don't think there are many plastic surgeons with the experience and therefore the judgement to offer useful enough advice. Many university medical centers have Marfans clinics which are multidisciplinary, and I think somewhere like that will offer the best source of advice.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Marfan's Syndrome and Tummy Tuck

+1

This is something that you need to discuss with your cardiovascular surgeon.  If he/she thinks you are safe to have the surgery, then consulting a plastic surgeon would be the next step.  Unfortunately, I think you will find few plastic surgeons who would think the benefit outweighs the risk in your case.  Best of luck with your health.

Sacha Obaid, MD