34A to D or DD - What Size Should I Get?

I am going out of town for surgery march 30 I am 56" tall 115 pounds and currently a 34a I want to be a d or dd! I'm not sure what cc I should get I want to have an idea before I go! I'm going with round saline smooth underneath and crease I want a round fake big look! I don't want to get stretch marks! I was think a 600 cc What size cc should I go?

Choosing the best size breast implant

+4

Based on your height and weight (5' 6" and 115 lbs) you have a very thin frame.  I think anytime you try to jump too many cup sizes like you may be planning it has a high chance of complications over time.  First of all, if you are an A cup, your skin can only "stretch" so much at any one time, and increasing 3 or even 4 cup sizes can really be pushing it.  You have much higher risks of infection if there is too much tension on the incision, the wound can break down causing implant exposure and even extrusion necessitating removal.  Also the larger implant (such as 600cc) imparts greater tissue stress on the breast causing atrophy or "thinning" of the breast tissue which leads to visible and palpable wrinkling and rippling. Finally, there is also a higher chance of capsular contraction and implant malposition as well.  Even if you want to go big, you should talk to your plastic surgeon about using some framework of measurements to guide you. I have done cases that ultimately wanted to be quite large and sometimes it is done "in two steps" whereby the first implant is placed and the skin can only handle so much stress, and then 3 months later we exchange the implant for a larger one when the skin has recovered.  This is surely better than trying to do too much at once.  I see many patients that may have had 600 cc implants on a frame like you that come in 5 years later and many want them smaller which usually requires a breast lift because the skin is so overstretched. So better to go up in two steps than too much in one and regret it.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Right size for you

+3

Implant size is probably the most difficult decision to make when it comes to breast augmentation. Based on your height and weight, you are very thin framed. Being only an A cup, you may be limited as to how big you can go. It is extremely important to let your doctor know what you expect from surgery. It may be helpful to bring pictures of what you want to look like so the doctor can relate better.

The bigger the implant, the higher the risk of getting stretch marks. It can happen. You are also more at risk for complications after surgery. For example, the incision opening up and getting an infection.

Most women who have had a breast augmentation will tell you that they wished they would have gone bigger in size so this is something to thnk about as well. It is very important to talk with your doctor and be able to try on some implants at your consultation.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast implant size/cup size?

+2

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Choosing your implant size

+2

Your board-certified plastic surgeon will assist you in choosing the most appropriate implant size.  Your surgeon will perform an examination and may take several measurements.  Based on these measurements your surgeon may recommend a certain size or range of sizes that are suitable for your body frame.  If you are an A cup now, it may be difficult to get to a D or DD cup.  Also, with a very large implant you have a higher risk of several complications, including stretch marks.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+2

Larger implants such as a 600cc for your body can lead to a much higher rate of complications.  You need to be very careful about meeting with an ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and go through a careful process of measuring your anatomy.  Please do not rush into this decision.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

34A to D or DD

+1
The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

A to D or DD

+1
Deciding on which implant to use is always a difficult decision for women. The benefit is that in this day and age is that there are so many choices of implants that the augmentation can be tailored to each patient.

I would spend time trying on various implants in your surgeons office and don’t be afraid to do this more than once. Also bring your surgeon pictures of what you want to look like after your procedure. This will make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page about your implant desires.

I would not worry so much about the bra size post-operatively. This is very difficult to predict and various from one company to another.

600cc implant will likely get you at least to a D cup. The one thing I would tell you to consider is using a silicone implant and not saline. In patients that are very thin that go up several cup sizes are much more likely to see ripples and feel the hardness of the implant. The extra high profile silicone implants are a nice balance between giving patients the fullness they desire and a soft natural feel.

It is important to see your board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you to an implant that will give you an aesthetically pleasing breast.

Johnny Franco, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

Generally speaking, the bigger the implants, the higher the risk of complications.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Sizing for BAM

+1

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant size

+1

I think going with 400-450cc may be as large as you want to try with your body description. 450cc may get you to a D cup.

Good luck

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon