Wait Time After Running a Marathon to Have a Body Lift?

I was just curious how long are you supposed to wait after you run a marathon before you can have a lower and upper body lift, is there any rules to that?

Body Lift after Exercise

+2

Usually I do not implement exercise restrictions pre-surgery. However, a marathon can be very taxing on the body and creates the possibility for injury. It is important that patients are as healthy as possible going into surgery to ensure the best possible recovery period and surgical results. Without meeting you in person, I would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks after your marathon to move forward with a body lift procedure. During this in between period it is important that you are taking in adequate amounts of protein to help with the tissue repair from both the marathon and the upcoming surgery. As always, be sure to check with your surgeon and follow his or her instructions regarding surgical preparation.

Soon

+2

If you are in good  health and can run a marathon you easily could have a lower body lift .

It would be reasonable to wait a few days after when you are recovered from the marathon.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Planning Surgery After a Marathon

+2

A marathon can be very stressful on your body unless you are very accustomed to this amount of running. Before a body lift you want to make sure you are injury-free, in positive protein balance, fully hydrated and rested.  I think you might wisely wait 2-4 weeks before a major surgery after that impressive endeavor.  Good luck! 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Wait Time

+2

There are no rules on this one.  As long as you are healthy, your nutritional status is good, you should be able to proceed with your body contouring procedure.   Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+2

No rules on that one. You just want to make sure your nutrition is good and your fluids and electrolytes are properly balanced. I doubt that would take more than a few days.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Body lift in a runner

+2

I am also a runner. I do not see any issue with running the marathon and having the surgery soon after.  I would recommend waiting a few days so you are not adding the pain from surgery to the pain from the run.  Otherwise, unless you are expecting further weight loss, go for it. That is a great time to get the surgery done. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring surgery after running a marathon

+1

Great question! There are no rules on waiting time after running a marathon and having surgery.

Based on my own personal experiences of running marathons I would suggest that you wait 1 or preferably 2 weeks after the marathon before having elective surgery. It does take your body some time to recover from the effort and you may finish the marathon with some niggling injuries that you didn't have before.

Being fit enough to run a marathon suggests that you are in good health and that your body should cope well with the stress of major surgery. After all the time you have spent training for the marathon you may find that the post operative exercise restrictions are psychologically taxing, or alternatively you may welcome the enforced temporary rest.

Good luck with the marathon, don't go out too fast and don't try anything new on the day. Best of luck with your surgery, too!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

How Soon After A Marathon For a Body Lift?

+1

Dear sxyclara00,

There are just no clear rules on this one.  Every runner recovers at their own speed and rate so you have to listen to your body.  I would recommend you increase your protein intake in preparation for your surgery as will need more to recover from both your marathon and your surgery.  If you have any leg injuries that occur with your running, please delay your surgery until they have mended to minimize your risks of blood clots in your legs during and after surgery.  Good luck with both efforts!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Marathon running and then a body lift

+1

There is not hard and fast rule when to have surgery after a marathon. You may want to give yourself a week or two to recover form the marathon.

Surgery after Running a Marathon

+1

There is no set rule for this question.  Probably best to listen to your body and allow your body to recovery after the marathon prior to having surgery.

Best to run this question past your surgeon to get his/her advice.