How Much Time Can I Spend out of the Binder? (photo)

I have been recovering lighting fast (See pictures in profile). Day 13 and I feel like I could return to my normal activities, but am following my doctors orders to go easy on myself. I had a TT without muscle tightening and lipo of the back flanks. I feel great and my swelling is down. How much time can I spend out of the binder? It's summer and I have a 70th bday party this weekend. Can I get away with wearing tight underwear/no binder for a couple hours at a time here and there?

Removing Binder after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

Congratulations on  having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. It sounds like you are doing quite well. By the way, you do not look anywhere close to 70!

More seriously, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific instructions such as removal of binder; generally speaking, there should be no harm done ( except possibly transient increased swelling) if the binder is removed for a few hours.  Heed his advice and do not overdo your activity…

In my practice, I find the use of some type of compression garment helpful during the first 6 to 8 weeks after the procedure is performed.

Often, as patients become more active and return to exercise, abdominal wall swelling increases. The use of compression garments helps “control” the swelling.

After a few months,  swelling dissipates as the venous and lymphatic channels  begin to function normally.

How Much Time Can I Spend out of the Binder?

+1

As always, I would direct this question to your own surgeon. I let may patients switch to Spanx or equivalent whenever they wish, and I would certainly not have an issue with that. I also have guarded opinion about how important is the garment, so for example on a 90 degree day, I would not have someone where a garment. Do check with your surgeon, though. All the best. 

Tummy Tuck Garments- How Long to Wear them after Surgery?

+1

Compression garments are very important to achieving the final smooth Liposuction and Tummy Tuck result. Thus, it is great that you are tuned into this important detail!  As a routine, I ask patients to wear the compression garment 24 hours continuously for 2 weeks, and then for 12 hours the following two weeks.

However, each surgery is different and each surgeon has different protocols. The best thing to do is to place a call to your surgeon to find out! It's a quick answer! 

The link below has some info about compression garments. 

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Wearing a compression garment after in abdominoplasty should be done according to the instructions of your surgeon.

+1

Most surgeons do not feel that a compressive garment needs to be worn continuously after in abdominoplasty. Nevertheless your question should be addressed to your surgeon.