Tummy Tuck Pre-op Workout?

I've read several post that say being in top physical condition will make your recovery easier and shorter. I'm not sure if I am in good enough physical condition or not to make for an easier recovery. I run 2-3 miles (outside) 3 times a week and eat 70% clean and healthy. My tummy tuck is not until July 11th 2013 so I have some time to work on my physical condition. I was wondering if anyone could share their pre-op workout routine or any suggestions (I am a bit ignorant when it comes to workouts).

Tummy Tuck Pre-op Workout?

+2

I don't think you need to worry. Your regimen is much more already than most TT patients. And I rarely see a patient who doesn't feel good and is off of narcotics within a few days. We do use pain pumps on our patients and perhaps that accounts somewhat for their quick and easy recovery.

Workout prior to Tummy Tuck

+2

There has been no specific workout defined prior to abdominoplasty. Just working out and being in good health is the best thing you can do. It sounds like you are already doing this. If I were to define a pre tummy tuck workout, I would add back strengthening exercises. After a tummy tuck you will be bent over for a week or so. Having your back muscles strong so they do not get tired and ache during this time would be the ideal.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Getting Ready for a Tummy Tuck

+2

For people wanting a Tummy Tuck in San Antonio, I generally recommend working out their "core" prior to surgery.  People with a strong core usually recover from the tummy tuck operation much better.  I am a big fan of Pilates and Yoga preoperatively.  Keep in mind that after surgery, your surgeon will likely limit your activity.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Pre-op Workout?

+1

Mira--

You are already doing plenty, and far more than most patients in preparation for their surgery. Keep it up, best wishes for a nice outcome and speedy recovery.

All the best. 

Workout Routine Prior to Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

You seem to have an excellent pre workout regiment. You are right on that being in the best physical condition and at the lowest stable weight that you desire will enhance your results as well as help you recover strongly. I would continue doing what you are doing. Lose as much weight as you desire while continuing a sound diet with exercise. You are setting yourself up to have an excellent outcome!

Richard J. Brown, MD