Will having a breast lift without implants at this point in life affect me breast feeding in the future?

I am a 27 year old, single female that has never had children. If I do end up having a simple breast lift, will this affect any future breast feedings if I end up having children in the future?

Breast feeding after mastopexy

+2

It isn't possible to state definitively whether you would be able to breast feed after a breast lift or reduction. This is extremely individualized and affected by factors unrelated to the proposed surgery.

Breast lift and lactation

+2

It is difficult to say whether or not you will be able to breast feed after a breast lift. Some very large breasted women can not breast feed, and the opposite is true as well. Most women supplement as well, but the likelihood is that you will be able to.

Breast Lift and Breast Feeding

+1

If you have a breast lift without reduction, in other words without having breast tissue removed, there's a good chance you will be able to breast feed down the road. There is no guarantee, however. Some women can't breast feed even if they don't have surgery.

Since you are young and thinking about having children, you might weigh the pros and cons of waiting to have your breast lift, or mastopexy, until after pregnancy. If your breasts are large and heavy now, there's the possibility you may decide you need a second lift after pregnancy and nursing. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has worked with lots of women over many years may help you gain some insight. There's nothing at all wrong with having a consultation now and choosing surgery later, if that's the right course of action for you. There's also nothing wrong with moving forward now if doing so would help you feel much more satisfied with your figure.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D. New York Plastic Surgeon

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Breast feeding after a lift

+1

Very difficult question to answer - since many women who have not had surgery are not able to breast feed - although surgery may make it more difficult to breast feed post op - or it may not change things at all - this is really an impossible question to answer since there are too many variables involved.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after a breast lift

+1

This is a difficult question to answer. Some women are unable to breast feed regardless if they've had surgery on their breasts. It is possible to breast feed after a lift since the breast tissue itself is essentially not altered in the surgery, but there is no definitive way to tell you if you'd be able to or not.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and breast feeding

+1

one of the objectives of a breast lift procedure is to preserve the nipple and areolar complex with its vascular, nervous and duct structures. These are what's needed for breast-feeding and should be preserved and as part of the mastopexy or breast lift procedure. You'll likely be able to breast feed after a lift, please look for a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this procedure who could show you multiple before-and-after's of patients similar to your breast shape.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast feeding after mastopexy or lift

+1

The research has always shown that about 20% of women cannot breast feed for multiple reasons. The majority of breast lift procedures do not change that percentage. Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

Probably not. This is essentially a skin level operation, redraping the breast skin over the breast mound that typically will not be altered or affected. A consult with a plastic surgeon will afford a more thorough explanation of the pros and cons.

All the best.